Squidder from days gone by

Started by Maxed Out, January 23, 2024, 03:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Been laying low from adding more reels to my collection. Then one day i took a peak at ebay and saw some bluury pics of a squidder auction that ended in 15 minutes. It had a couple small bids, so I just bumped it up a hair and went back to watching football. About hour later I noticed I had an item that needed "payment". holy smokes, hope those blurry pics didnt bite me in the arse. Upon arrival it looked pretty decent, but then i wiped off a few chrome areas and I was left momentarily speechless. later on I carefully detailed the reel with cotton wadding and my magic lens cloth. I can honestly say this reel has never been used, or spooled with line. It is 100% original pre war and came with the boxed lube tubes, boxed extra spool, and correct #10 catalog. I'm still pinching myself, but it's really for real !!

1942 average hourly wage .25cents, this 1942 squidder cost $25, which is equal to 100 hours of labor. That's why they were referred to as rich man's reel, and the surfmaster at $6 was aptly named the poor man's squidder

Here's a few pics
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Great score! Wonder if the other bidder was watching football too and didn't see bid go up. NIB that's something!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Nice score. Good thing do happen to good people
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

I guess I'm the guy that was watching football.

How did I miss that one.

Great find, even better score!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

Great score. Gotta love when people forget to bid. It doesn't happen often enough 😆
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

vilters

sciaenops

foakes

Great find on a great reel that Penn has sadly discontinued, Ted —

I have gotten rid of a couple hundred Penn Conventionals over the last 4 years.  And have maybe another 100 to go.

But I have always enjoyed and kept back the Penn Squidders.

All (3) widths —- 140, 145, 146.

None are as pristine as the one you just acquired though.

Thanks for showing us!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Fujitani

Crow

Great find!  The only squidder in my collection is so corroded, the "chrome" is all "brass'!LOL!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain