Fishing an ancient Hendryx

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 24, 2024, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I've been off work a few days with that one virus we don't talk about anymore.

Well my brain went some pretty weird places. On one of those head-trips I got the wild hare idea to load up my old Hendryx pillar-style reel, that i believe is circa 1890-1910 production.

No anti-reverse, no drag, no freespool, just a spool, a set of rudimentary gears, and a (ivory) handle.

I put down some 100# dacron backing because that's what i had on hand, and probably 100' of 10# braid.

I tied on a 10# mono leader, put on a half oz weight knocker rig style and a small hook with a piece of bread to limit the target size. I wanna catch a fish on this reel. I have no desire to torture test this reel.

Well with a half oz I could cast roughly 50' upwind. Hardly a BFS ready setup. And I couldn't keep the bread on the hook more than a few seconds in the current. I later remembered thats why we used bagels as a kid. It stayed on the hook.

Gonna hopefully try again today on my way home, with denser bread.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

That reel looks familiar, is it one that I sent a couple year ago?  Either way good to see the old stuff getting a workout.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Bill B on January 24, 2024, 06:26:29 PMThat reel looks familiar, is it one that I sent a couple year ago?  Either way good to see the old stuff getting a workout.  Bill
Yes sir it is! Thanks again!
I was still pretty terrible with a non-fixed-spool reel when I got it. So it sat on the shelf for a while. I figure now I am skilled enough to actually use it, even if not yet skilled enough to use it well.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Fun. :fish (We used Wonderbread. Stuff is almost like glue when crushed.)

oldmanjoe

:)   Good old earth worms or Pillsbury crescent or biscuit dough stays on the hook...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare