Thanks for having me.

Started by Phage, January 25, 2024, 03:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phage

My dad loved his Mitchell reels and Conolon rods. We fished, he, my younger brother, and I when we were kids. Dad is gone now, and my brother is a full time nursing home resident. I have their fishing (and hunting) equipment, and have been through most of it, servicing and repairing it as needed. I'd give a lot for one more day in a fishing boat or following my Setters with my dad.

I wished I knew about this site when I started on the fishing gear, eBay is an expensive way to get fishing reels running. But, I had some good results. My brother broke the foot off his Mitchell 300, maybe 50 years ago. Dad attempted to have it repaired by a neighbor, and that didn't work, so, it sat in an oily rag, missing its foot, in his shop cabinet all those years. I found a housing for it, and put it back into service. Showed it to my brother at the home. I have Grandma's Hurd Supercaster, with the case, hanging in my man cave with my Dads ocean gear, a pair of Mitchell 302s. A nice collection of various Mitchell reels, all serviced but not really displayed, all waiting a chance to dangle a lure. Two DAM Quick 110s, serviced, one had a 265 spool on it, but, it works just the same. I have a Quick Exquisite 330 with the magnetic drag, I bought it at Cabelas when they went on clearance, and I have never seen another. Nice little reel. Nothing I own is very valuable, just old fishing gear with memories, and worth something mostly to me.

I'll post some photos in the future.

I suppose I am more of an accumulator than a true collector, but,I look forward to being a part of the forum. Thank you for having me. I go by Ted, to my friends.

Thanks again.
I have more (insert personal weakness, here)  than I need, but, less than I want.

Brewcrafter

Welcome!  Don't worry about being a collector or whatever other label; all are welcome here. - john

Crab Pot

Welcome aboard Ted.

Preserve those memories.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Ted —-

Sounds like you have some nice quality vintage gear.

Best Always, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Welcome Ted, It's nice to have you hanging around! 😀
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Greetings, Ted, from Minnesota.  As a young kid, I fished with my Dad some, but neither of us was much good at it back then.  By the time we both learned a few lessons, I lived too far away from him to do any fishing with him (or Mom either, but they went fairly often). So, like you, I would relish even one day now with him, but he's been gone, as is Mom, for a few years now.  I've got a few items of his gear, and think about him every time I pull it out.

Lots of Mitchell devotees around here.  Like you, I too am more of an accumulator than any sort of true collector, but I use most everything I get a hold of and nothing sits in any display case.

Frank

Reeltyme

Ted, we are not collectors, we are preservation ambassadors for the future! That's my excuse at least. Actually I'm a hoarder.

Phage

I feel....I am among my kind. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I am in Minnesota as well.

Ted
I have more (insert personal weakness, here)  than I need, but, less than I want.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Welcome aboard,  enjoy.   :cf

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Quote from: Reeltyme on January 25, 2024, 10:55:59 PMTed, we are not collectors, we are preservation ambassadors for the future! That's my excuse at least. Actually I'm a hoarder.

Waaahahahahahaha  ;D.

Good to have you here Ted.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!