Bearing puller idea -holy crap it worked

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 25, 2024, 04:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I've been fighting longer than I care to admit to pull a bearing out of a cap from a 970. Well i know there's several workable ways to do it. And I may have just stumbled onto another. Or maybe you all already know this and I'm just late to the party. Either way.

Drill bit to match ID of bearing and a bent nail/pick of your choice (that can fit in the groove of the drill bit) is all you need. But a bench mount vise doesnt hurt.  Squeeze the pick toward the drill bit to maintain pressure.

Holy crap I almost screamed out in excitement when it came loose. So i took a pic to share the idea and hopefully not forget it myself.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

ExcessiveAngler

Nice going Jason!
How hard was it to get the top washer out?
Or maybe they weren't present in your bearing assembly? Isn't there a spring or something in there too?
I've always just taken the whole thing out and soaked it for goof off a few days, then flushed the crap out of them!
Not sure, if I want/need to speed mine up! these heavy spooled demons, are already hard to control lol!
One of my 980s, I got it loaded with grease to slow it down lol!

Cor

Yes indeed, another good idea.   I usually use one of those expanding bolts and find it works well to.
Cornelis

Bill B

Great idea.  Will be keeping that in the ol' toolbox on top of my shoulders.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

kinda similar idea to the Jam key the guy of Bearing bad tool is using along with his modified tweezers

the goal is to put enough pressure to avoid the tip to slip when pulling

PS: I like MacGyver solutions like yours, tho
The Baja Guy

Reeltyme

Thanks Jason, I'm filing that one for the future.