Greetings from Sugra Land, TX

Started by doc.starfish, January 25, 2024, 06:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc.starfish

Greetings:

This is Tai from Sugar Land, Tx.  I have been viewing the forum for a while as a guest user for a few topics.  Just signed up, thus not quite know my way around and was getting nowhere looking for the "running list" for drag washers, have not ventured into bearings yet.

My family all love saltwater fishing, mainly at Bolivar Peninsula, Galveston, to Surfside.  During our visit to Kauai, we fish many times at the Ahukini pier, using light travel rods I made.  My Son caught a very nice size papio, my daughter caught the most (well over 20 of various sizes), my wife fought with a large puffer (probably 2-3 ib.) but it snapped the hook when she almost got it up the pier, and for me: a double "Filet-O-Fish" sandwich from the Lihue MacDonald's.

I have been customizing fishing rods (rewrap using new guides and tip tops) for a while, and have had toyed with my old Zebco Cardinal 4, C4 and C3 reels (still use them some times).  Recently bought some used Shimano spinning and Daiwa bait casting reels, and currently trying to replace the fabric drag washers with carbon fabric ones.  I am trying to know the sizes of the different drag discs before taking the reels apart, so as to better plan my DIY projects, and not wasting too much of the few carbon fabric I have.

Your help and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Tai

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Greetings, Tai, from Minnesota.

Frank

day0ne

Greetings back at you. I used to live in Houston and Alief.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Reeltyme

Hello Tai! Your neighbor on the other side of the "bay".

Randy "Reeltyme"

Brewcrafter

Welcome Tai from the SoCal Inland Empire. - john

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Welcome Tai. Glad you could join us. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Regarding drag washer sizes, that could be a difficult one is probably best that you take apart each real measure each washer put it back together again and then order washers
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

doc.starfish

Greatly appreciate each and every one of the welcoming greetings.

My regret for not able to reply earlier, been busy with my son's Godmother passing.  Still remember taking her and her brother fishing in Galveston, and the two beginners caught the two keeper reds.  This has been emotionally draining, and I hope to be able to work on my reels soon.

Tai

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Ssssssssup, Tai.
The Ahukini Pier is an interesting fishing spot. A dilapidated former commercial structure. Once when we were there, my wife hooked a big Skate. At the that time, we were wondering about all the local people showing-up. Turns out there was a bury the ashes in the ocean-funeral for a local truck driver. We were blocked in by people on the pier and vehicles in the parking lot, but got to witness the whole service. At the end, all  the truckers all blew their horns at once and it was the loudest noise I've ever heard.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!