Some Fun we had in Alaska part 6.

Started by gstours, January 26, 2024, 12:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is some more video for your viewing.  Small clips with some personal comments as we pass thru time. :fish
rum.  61-70

Tuesday, November 28, 2023
4:46 PM

-      3.5 min.   Does the Beastmaster make work easier??  Certainly for checking you bait often, or fishing deep.   Here we are doing neither,  just razzing each other in a friendly way.   Ken was  always skepical of a lot of my ways.   Butt we always liked catching  fish.....   Here we get a fish and when its slow you all know what that means....   We use a homade dehooker to dislodge the big hook.
  Oh by the way this bait rig Ken offered me to use in the morning of this fun day.....  Always fun to fish with Ken.   He was very generous ..............

62.       14.3 min.   We are fishing halibuts on the Maiko and Ken has a friend along.   The weather was less than ideal butt we were determined to make the best of it.....  We anchored in several places looking for some fish and here you will see a bighter.   
    Fishing three rods we had a good chance to catch something or tangle with somebody,  so we tried using heavy leads and fishing strait to the bottom.........The camera is traded around between us so we get what we get......The halibut here was caught on bait and the little reel is a China kinda copy of the Tiagra 12 of mine.   The pinion bearing was replaced with one with a shoulder to keep it from binding and the drag washer was replaced with a sheet cf one of my liking..... These mods proved worthwile as its caught at least a thousand pounds since.
  My Kudos to Ken a nd his friend for making this for all of you,     and for this forum to learn stuff..........   Every day fishing is a good day.....

63.  -https://youtu.be/-ul2dxBJ-QY?si=eGDKXucnhz_D5Ri-    5.6 min.   A morning halibut trip was planned as the weather up here is always changing,  we got out and it was looking good.
  We anchored the Maiko on the edge of a rocky point and it seemed to me some fish would be laying there as the tide changed directions.    Here,s a fun part of the idea..... Also I wanted to use the Banax 7000x 12v. to drop down a lot if necessary,   as I figgured there would be a lot of smalls in the fairly shallow water at a slow part of the water movement... A pretty good is hooked using bait and a rig as shown here.   Ken was always a great helper and his harpoon skills might have been honed on this boat,  So at least you got to go for this ride.   Thanks gst.

https://youtu.be/JFoXJLKXNow?si=aVyS6nJ00RxXMdRg   6.4 min.  Here,s a jo average fish that is taken during the summer months,  this size is the bread and butter of the charter fleet and perfect for handling and eating.....  The meat is a little more fine grained compared to the somewhat larger fish.    We are fishing bait on the seafloor using 2 pounds usually unless the depth and water currents force the fisher to use more lead.......   Ken hooks a fish and the custom built dehooker is shown being used.   This tool works especially well on circle hooks.   Most fisherpeople I know make their own custom bait rigs, and some are quite colorful......  Its always fun, like a fashion show to see who wins the prize of the day........

65     27 sec.   A sneek peek.of some winter trolling we did together as friends.  Get up early, scrape windows and light the oil stove, and while the sun is coming up and making a pink sky or maybe just loading the neccesarys on to the boat.   Feeling no presence of wind can bring a feeling this might just be the day?
   Here,s just that kind of clip,  short and sweet....  Ken and his fish..........  Wish you could have ben there.

66.       5.5 min.   We take the Maiko for a spin as it was on its mooring,  After catching a couple of nice fish the Sea Lions smelled us up....  So we moved as we cannot discharge firearms, nor bombs to keep them at a distance for long.......Ken gets a fish on as soon as we got repositioned  using a bait, not jig strait to the bottom......  as he brings up the fish we spot another sea lion snorting and we had good timing and got the fish in.   So may bee we call this one,   In the nick of time????
   Its always fun to go fishing,  everyday is another chance......How many do we get?????

67.   https://youtu.be/zT1-CLCCU7w?si=Rg6IL8bGRy-UaegL   4.8 min....  A fun adventure is expected as the weather was expected to be perfect and the tides slight.....
   We are facing north out the back of the Maiko,  Ken an me are using bait rigs on the seafloor and sitting in chairs waiting and enjoying the peacefulness of the morning.   Using the old Go Pro 3 camera and the all I knew Go Pro Editing program a while back this clip gave me some reflection on the earlier days of how and when,   The fish helped us improve the techniques in de hookering,  and putting lines on the fish to keep outside the boat when possible.....  Never in my dreams did I think someday of doing this alone...
  Tools and Tides are our friends,  much like the weather....   Lets go Fishing Again.....

.  1.20 min.   We scraped the ice of the Maiko windshield,  lit the Dickenson, with expectations positive we got back to the ritual of winter trolling for a King Salmon and an attempt for Ken to catch one with his buddy boy.
   Yes it's a little snow and ice on the deck in the Pik,   The weather was sunny and calm winds.   Perfect for an outdoor adventure,    I,m glad to have made a short clip with the old Go Pro to share with you all.....   Wish you were there as always.....

https://youtu.be/9MVYn2FWxiI?si=hMmi4Khur9MV_-eT     4.8 min.   Ken  fishes halibuts on the Maiko.   The weather is nice with high altitude clouds and a slack tide.  We anchor on a pebble/mud smooth sea floor and let some baited hooks down and wait.   Ken get a fish and then another one a little larger.   It was his turn,   Here his bait rig.    I don't mind helping secure and video the fish.   Wish you were there,   Glad to share.   

70.      6.3m.    Usually sport fishing is a balance of a chance to go, some others that have the same interest in helping with the work, and sharing an opportunity to recreate.    Here,,s a clip of when Ken was having some cancer treatments and unable butt wanting to go fishing some summers ago...  Some company was invited to go,  here s a fun clip of an adventure on the Maiko.   When the time is right you have a good chance to catch fish,   Here is the time......Wish you could have been there too,   To help and have fun.    Cheers to all.