Tool/technique for removing ring that holds bushings in Abu side plate?

Started by work2fish, January 27, 2024, 12:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

work2fish

Quick newbie questions here...

First, I bid on a few older Abu Ambassadeur reels that I want to try to service this winter. Is there any special tool or technique for removing the ring that holds the bushing in the sideplate? Below is an image of a 5000D that shows the ring I am talking about. In the image it looks like there is a little notch at the top that I could put a toothpick or something like that in to remove the ring without harming the bushing, but it also looks like those two holes in the ring are designed to be gripped by some special tool (maybe I could just use a bent paperclip  :) )

Second, do images have to be hosted on the web somewhere to be included in a post? I was able to put the above image on a server and then link to it, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do it.

Thanks,
Mark

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mark,

Those round spring circle clips are fairly strong.

You can makeshift something to get them out with —- such as filing down an old pair of needle nose pliers.

The needed tool is a circle clip removal/install tool (snap-ring pliers).

Here are some of mine.

HF has these for as low as around $10 —- and they work fine.

Other manufacturers are a little more.

Be careful when installing or removing these. 

They can sometimes launch into low earth orbit.

Just cup your hand over the sideplate when removing or installing them?

It also is a good idea to protect your eyes.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jtwill98

It is best to use snap ring pliers for removing it. They can be found at any local hardware, auto parts stores or online.

For uploading pictures to the message board there is an area beneath the text input box for uploading images. Look for: "Click or drag files here to attach them." 

work2fish

Thanks, Fred and jtwill98! I didn't know what those things were called, but once I learned the correct terms from your posts (circle clip pliers / snap ring pliers) I was able to find them quickly online.

Thanks, also, for the tip on the "Click or drag files here to attach them" thing. I even used it before a few months ago to post a few pics and still couldn't find it today  :-[

Can't wait to get these reels (an old 5000, 4 screw model, probably from the mid 1960s and a 5000D). I'll post pictures in the Ambassadeur discussion after I work on them.

Mark

Midway Tommy

Quote from: work2fish on January 27, 2024, 02:02:22 AMThanks, also, for the tip on the "Click or drag files here to attach them" thing. I even used it before a few months ago to post a few pics and still couldn't find it today  :-[

Mark

Preview your post and the option will come up at the bottom of your draft as "Click or drag files here to attach them".
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)