Another Old Glass Casting Rod Find

Started by Paul Roberts, February 01, 2024, 03:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I've been on something of a quest to find some period rods, of fishable quality, to match up with my old direct-drive reels. Or at least keeping my eyes peeled. My latest find is a Pflueger model R1756 -obviously a high quality rod of its day. Researching it in the ORCA members library it turned out to be Pflueger's top of the line casting rod, as referenced in the 1957 and 1959 product catalogs. By description, my configuration was likely offered sometime after 1957. Below is the 1959 catalog description. It's possible that the guides on my rod were re-wrapped at some point, it having rather coarse brown overwraps.

The 1756 is a 5'6" Med "action" (power) model. Sadly, mine came in missing 2" from the tip. I popped a 6/64ths ceramic tip-top on and, being glass, the rod is still flexible enough in the tip to perform just fine. In fact the added rigidity from the cropped tip (something I've purposely done to glass and some graphite blanks) yielded a surprising moderate-fast taper. Power-wise, 3/8-5/8oz seems about right and it should support line weights of 8 to 12lb, possibly 14lb, safely -although I'll be running 20lb PE braid on it, hence the ceramic tip-top. Old brown glass is new to me so I'll ease into whatever power the rod might have to safely work with. Nylon braid might actually be more prudent?

The polished aluminum Speedlock handle is quality as well, and is surprisingly light -for an old offset handle- weighing 5oz. The blade (or "tip" in period language) comes in at 2-1/4 oz. It's a beautiful old rod and its rich dark brown glass matches nicely with the spacer rings on my South Bend 1250-E. Going pure Pflueger, I have a rare, polished, Supreme narrow-spool that looks darn spiffy on it. 8) 

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

That thing doesn't look like it got much abuse. Nice!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Thanks all. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it. A friend of mine, years ago now, had a Zebco Prostaff rod with Cardinal 4 reel -their top of the line combo. And, interestingly, this Pflueger rod sports a similar look. I feel like I'm looking down that Prostaff when I'm casting this rod.

Jason, it casts very well. So I don't think the loss of 2" of tip has hurt it any. In my book there's often some "extra" tip left to... flop around out there anyway, esp in glass rods. It feels like a "modern" MF action. Not quite as crisp as graphite in that upper third, but that isn't as much an issue in casting. It's in sensitivity and an power to weight where glass falls behind.

I'm happy with this old Pflueger caster, but do remember the limitations inherent in short pistol grip casting rods, compared with long straight handle rods. In particular, the amount of line you can move (i.e. to: keep off the water, manipulate lures, hook-set, attain sensitivity, and stay with or ahead of fighting fish). Years ago I dismantled a pistol grip to make my first straight-handle casting rod, mostly bc I didn't have the wrist strength to support a MH pistol grip rod over a day of fishing. And I never looked back. Until... just recently.

We'll see how I fare with these venerable, and cool, old rods. I know I'll be relearning old hard won lessons. But, I've little to prove to myself anymore. I've caught a lot of fish. I can make some room for... something cool and satisfyingly limiting. Or so I say typing away here in my man-cave, with ice-locked waters out there. :-\

(Oh yes, I added a couple pure Pflueger pics to the OP.)

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 01, 2024, 04:45:21 PMThat thing doesn't look like it got much abuse. Nice!
Probably not, although the previous owner was a serious fisher. The rod broke while he was packaging it to ship to me. :( We talked on the phone and I asked him to send it anyway. He only wanted the shipping cost. I paid him quite a bit more, despite it losing any collector value, bc I got what I had wanted out of it -a rod to fish with. As I've said, I'm more angler than collector. I used to say I'm an angler, not a collector. But that has changed since I met the ORCA folks. I'm still angler first, but I now have a bigger job deciding which reels to take along! Not all such decisions are about efficiency. Or, maybe better, I'm looking to get as much efficiency out of these beautiful old reels, and rods, as I can muster. Remains to be seen.

Midway Tommy

There's a real fine line within that user/collector bracket. You should always want to be able to use any collectable reel, but not so much that it diminishes the value. If you like it that much find it in a beater.    ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

You know I've never wanted to own a super fine grade or rare shotgun. Because I'd want to use it. So... I wouldn't want to keep it. There are better owners out there for such things. I had a friend who had a Model 12 in near mint condition. He brought it along on a pheasant hunt one day and spent the day carrying it high above his head the whole time so as not to scratch it. Not my idea of a shotgun.

This said, I've got quite a few old reels now that each sport some cool mechanical tech developed to solve casting and fishing challenges. I find this really interesting. So I don't mind having them around. In the back of my mind there is a niggling reminder though that...I cannot possibly make good use of them all. I told my wife, in conversation when I started gathering up old reels, that I was looking for two or three old reels to fish with. What I didn't count on was how interesting the mechanics and the histories and stories behind them would turn out to be. Not sure where I'm headed with them all, except to say that it will be toward good fishing water. Yet I will be taking darn good care of them along the way, as I always have with all my tackle and gear. Eventually I'll pass them on to others, in better shape than when I got them.

akroper

I grew up dirt poor.  We never had fancy stuff.  What we had was solid, utilitarian, and well maintained.  As a young man, I sometimes wished for new or fancy things, but still couldn't afford them.  As a middle aged man (I'm 72), I now have a deep appreciation for solid, utilitarian tools, vehicles, firearms, fishing equipment, etc. etc.
What I DO really like is the oddball, unique, out-of-the-mainstream stuff.  Finding this AT.com site (one of my most fortuitous discoveries in years and years)  opened up a whole new world of tackle, especially spinning reels.  In the past two weeks, I have fished a Pfleuger Pelican reel on  a mid-50's Shakespeare Wonderod, and a 1955 Wright-McGill Fre-line reel, not the side caster, but the one that looks like a Zebco spincaster, on a square shaft solid glass Wright-McGill rod, also mid-50's.  I'm currently looking for an appropriate rod for my Waltco NyoLite reel.  I do get some looks at the local community fishing ponds; that's part of the fun.
Maybe some direct drive baitcasters and copper telescoping rods are in my future.
Best wishes to a great group of people,
Ron

Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

Paul Roberts

Here here, Ron! Sounds like you've found the right place here. There's a whole world off of the beaten track and down the forgotten ones. The search is a big part of the fun for me. Like fishing it can require some patience. Good luck with your rambles.

Reeltyme

Just read through the thread Paul. Been busy painting inside the house and haven't had time to sit and read. As is the usual case with your threads, it is informative but more importantly it reads like your sitting on the front porch with old friends enjoying a cup of coffee and discussing the important things like rods and reels. Thanks and by the way, beautiful outfits as usual.
Reeltyme

Paul Roberts

Hi, Randy. Thanks. Those old casting rigs are nice looking. And thanks for the kind words. I don't expect many to follow my rambles. I can tell you my wife isn't much interested, beyond politeness. We tend to talk more about... interior painting and the like. :) Today it's getting the maple tree taps in. Cool thing to share with her, but I won't be writing it up. I write/share for myself mostly, as a way of getting more satisfaction out of my interests. Although this isn't a front porch, it is nice to have the opportunities here to share... the important stuff, by gum! :) Thanks for stopping by for a chat.
All the best.