The Black Mamba! 500 Wide with Cortez Conversion Side Plates & Bars

Started by El Pescador, February 03, 2024, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I've been talking with Ted about the Ablacore trip Ron Jones is putting together for Sept. 23-25, 2024 starting out of Westport, WA fishing on the Tornado.  And mentioned I'd like a new reel for the trip, after all, WHO doesn't have a Penn Jigmaster 500 to use or borrow!!!!

Ted said, he'll put together something for me, if I don't want it, send it back.

Here it is!!!!  I now call it the BLACK MAMBA!!!!!

Nice looking, isn't!!!! :d

Ted, chine in and let us know what all you did to put together Tom's TOP SHELF quality parts and make

this reel, the Albaocre Killer it will be.

Closer to the date, I'll head to Alan's to spool it up with Berkley Big Game mono.  The boat does NOT USE BRAID, and will let us know if 25, 30, or 40 lbs mono is the ticket.

This trip came together in 24 hours:  You can read about it here:

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37764.0.html

Ted??  YOU out there????

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Nice. Should do well on the albacore. Hoping you get good weather on the trip.

Todd
Todd

Crab Pot

Nice Reel Wayne!

No braid for the trip huh?

I'll have to adjust!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

El Pescador

Per the Tornado Website:

https://tornadowestport.com/area-info/

That is fine but there are a couple stipulations. NO BRAIDED LINE (fire line, tuff line, spider wire, dacron, etc) except on deep water Halibut trips. We use and recommend 25-30 pound test clear mono on salmon and 40 test on bottom fish reels and 25-40 on tuna reels.

We've experienced the braided lines just don't mix well in the charter boat environment. These lines are so strong (a little to strong) and thin to the point of being dangerous, especially when snagged on the bottom. Knot tying, tangles and fouling in the boats running gear are also problematic.

NOW...  Ted has fished with the Tornado Capt. MANY TIMES, and MAYBE his soft-spoken kind words MAY change his mind, if not, MONO it is.

Same on a trip in Bermuda, half day for snapper, I brought a Penn 450SS that Sal went thru, and when I boarded the boat, I asked the deck hand to put my reel on one of their boat rods.  he yelled out "BRAID!!!!!!"

Capt. was up top, and he yelled back... "NO BRAID!!!!!!"  Capt. words are final - like Alan's here!!!!

We will just have to see.

Wayne

Maxed Out

The Tornado switched to spectra last year for albacore. Dwight is a busy man with 2 young kids and during winter he is a commercial crabber. Updating his website isn't tops on his "to do" list. 50# spectra(or equivalent micro fibre line). 25 pound mono top shot. If you show up with mono filled spool, he won't say a word, but you might be cussing under your breath when you get cut off by the spectra he has on his bait rods.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wailua boy

Maxed Out

Wayne, your black mamba can be summed up with a quote from the great Muhammad Ali

"floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

vilters

very nice build! i'm really liking the 2nd gen jigmaster cortez plates

Bryan Young

What a beauty Wayne. Ted, you've done it again with another beautiful creation. That reel will be seeing red soon enough. Tight lines!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

got lots of mono here.  let me know if you need it spooled up!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crab Pot

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2024, 04:50:34 PMgot lots of mono here.  let me know if you need it spooled up!

Seeing how I'm on this trip too, what brand of mono and pound test/s do you recommend Alan?

Pretty sure I'm taking 2-3 reels.

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

alantani

for trolling - 50-60.  for bait, 20, 25 or 30.  hopefully you will not have to drop down to 15.  make sure your drags are set to 30% of the line weight. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2024, 05:30:51 PMfor trolling - 50-60.  for bait, 20, 25 or 30.  hopefully you will not have to drop down to 15.  make sure your drags are set to 30% of the line weight. 

YES MOTHER...  WILL DO!!!! ;D

And Alan, I'll be down to fill the reel before the Setp. 23-25 trip.

LONG TEXT with Ted last night, the Tornado Capt. - Dwight, has crossed over to BRAID for TUNA TRIPS - that from Ted & Ron Jones.

So as of now, it will be 50 lbs. braid with a 10'-12' topshot of Clear MONO - and Capt. Dwight will tie on a new leader IF ours gets too short.  Capt. Dwight sounds like a man of Action!!!

I'm getting jazzed about this trip.  AND all 10 fishermen are from AT.com or friends of the AT.com family.  That will make for an enjoyable 2 days on the water.

And Steve, which 2-3 reels do you plan on bringing????

Wayne