Newell 332 with 5 stack conversion

Started by spize909, February 09, 2024, 07:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

I tore down my old 332-5 that my son has been fishing with for quite a few years before a tuna charter I had last year and had forgotten that I had done the 5 stack conversion on it quite a few years ago. Anyway the drags were ready to be replaced and I was impatient and only had 3 new carbon drag washers to play with so I took I put it back together into a configuration that I thought would work and had chit for drag so tore it back down and messed with it until I thought I had an appropriate amount of drag for the 25lb test it would be spooled with.
Well the boy hooked a 35-40 lb bft right off the bat and fought that sucker for 40 or so minutes. I was busy with my own so didn't get to see that the drags were smoked pretty early on and he had to thumb drag it for most of the fight. Being the little slayer that he is (outfished me again) he put blood on the boat and racked that useless reel.
OK, now for my question so I can get this back together right this time. What is the thickness of the metal washers in the 5 stack kit? I have some misc parts so I want to get it back together right. Also if some one could link the schematic for the 5 stack, I would appreciate it!

Swami805

Here's the order for a 5 stack
Do what you can with that you have where you are

spize909

cool, that solves part of the mystery. Now to figure out which washers are the correct ones. I shuffled things around with old and new when I was trying to get drag out of it. What washers came in the 5 stack kit? I guess I just need to find the thin ones that I have.

Swami805

If you have 5 in there maybe add a spacer washer on top and see if that works. Sounds like the stack is too short
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

If you have my drag kit I. The reel, the metal washers are 0.5 mm thick and the Carbontex washer are also 0.5 mm thick. The Carbontex washers can be purchased from SmoothDrag. Ask for the Ultimate kit for jigmaster and you will get a complete replacement Carbontex kit. Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spize909

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 10, 2024, 01:58:52 AMIf you have my drag kit I. The reel, the metal washers are 0.5 mm thick and the Carbontex washer are also 0.5 mm thick. The Carbontex washers can be purchased from SmoothDrag. Ask for the Ultimate kit for jigmaster and you will get a complete replacement Carbontex kit. Hope this helps.
That's perfect, thanks Bryan!
BTW, I am running your low gear kit (bought it many years ago) on my Penn Fathom 25n and have killed lots of fish with it!

spize909

Quote from: Swami805 on February 10, 2024, 12:46:37 AMIf you have 5 in there maybe add a spacer washer on top and see if that works. Sounds like the stack is too short
I didn't have 5 in there.......I actually don't remember what I ended up with but whatever it was, it didn't work. I added a washer already I think but not sure exactly what my ultimate (failed) configuration was.
I thought I was better then that! :d