Sometimes You just Need to Call it

Started by foakes, February 10, 2024, 12:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Been raining and snowing for a week —- Sun came out today.

Decided to start in on the backlog of reels last Monday.

Got (12) completely done from the ground up —- sent them off Wednesday.  Completed (13) more over the last 3 days —- will send them out Monday.

I can spend an hour on a reel doing a complete tear down, cleaning all parts, replacing worn or broken parts with new, tuning, and completing.

Or, one reel may take 8 hours —- and still never be as right as it could be.

These last two old Mitchell round-bodied Caps were like that.

These were the old Mitchell Round-Bodied reels prior to the egg-shaped 300 versions, and even prior to the 304/305's.

C.A.P. —- Carpano & Pons, early Mitchells from the early 50's.

Been dreading doing these.  Serious corrosion everywhere, busted frames, most parts worn out, paint was stolen, screws stuck and frozen.

After taking them apart, I realized that even 8-10 hours of work would not result in an acceptable outcome.

So, instead of opening a can of worms —- I just went to the bins and pulled out any needed new parts.

Now they can leave the bench.

I am no reel genius, or guru —- just a reel mechanic with a lot of parts and 40+ years of experience.

Do I charge the guy a lot more $$$?  No, just get the job done and go on to the next batch. 

Every reel, parts used, and hours burned —- does not have to stand on its own.  Some are easier, some are tougher —- and there are always other methods and shortcuts.

It seems to even out.

But sometimes, you need to back off thinking that everything can be brought back to new —- so the easy fix is realizing this —- and keeping the line moving.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Bryan Young

I hope that wasn't one of my reels. If it was, thank you. It'd it wasn't and when you get to min it's that bad, just toss it and call it good.

Thanks Fred.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Lucky customer. The very reason I don't try to do this for others. I know enough from all of you to make my reels function well. But that doesn't help with all of the random mistreated reels people want brought back to life.
Everyone in Fred's area of expertise is very fortunate.

sabaman1

Fred your work is more than outstanding! May the Lord bless you richly for your perseverence. Thank you for
 sharing with us the scope of some of your work. It gives me joy to see these reels of the past given     
 new life.
JIM

MarkT

Snow! How much have you had this year? Seems light compared to last year... which was an anomaly.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: MarkT on February 10, 2024, 04:58:12 AMSnow! How much have you had this year? Seems light compared to last year... which was an anomaly.

Last year was a back-breaker, Mark —-

A 50-year event.

At 4500', we had 5' on the flats —- and the snow was up to the eaves where it came off the metal roof.  We were snowed in for a week, or so (no big deal, fully prepped).  However, for two weeks we were both exhausted from shoveling snow that weighed twice its normal amount (about 40 lbs. per square foot, instead of 18 or 20).

This Winter, we have had a few small snow events of a few inches, one of 6", and this week our biggest of 12".  We shoveled half a day yesterday —- in good shape now.

China Peak Ski Resort 25 miles up the road at 7000' —- has about 6'.  Backcountry has about 1/3 more than that.

We should get more snow this month, plus March and maybe some in April.

Last year, we had way too much "Hallmark".  This year is kind of balanced and pleasant.

We did get 6" of rain over the last week, before it turned to snow.  Been in the low 20° range each night.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Fujitani

I don't know how I missed this thread before, it brought back memories.

The first reel in my memory was a Shakespeare spin caster.  When I was about 6 years old, I got a CAP handed down to me after my older brother and Dad had used it.  It was my first spinning reel and I caught a lot of trout with it, while fishing with my Dad.

I later got my brother's 300 when he went to college and cut back on fishing.  As I got older, I moved on to DQ 110N and 220.  And then college, and went back to MG 410 and 302, until I got hooked on fly fishing.

foakes

These are 70+ year old reels, Jim —-

The only thing not replaced on these two CAP'# were one sideplate & the two drag knobs.

Everything else is brand new old stock out of the bins — inside & out.

Got to get rid of these parts somehow —-

They both operate like well oiled sewing machines —- with smoothness & firmly positive bail returns.

Each will easily fish another few decades.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sabaman1

Quote from: foakes on February 10, 2024, 09:57:35 PMThese are 70+ year old reels, Jim —-

The only thing not replaced on these two CAP'# were one sideplate & the two drag knobs.

Got to get rid of these parts somehow

Best, Fred

Fred did Penn make a bailed version of the green 706 spinfisher ?

JIM

foakes

Quote from: sabaman1 on February 12, 2024, 05:29:39 AM
Quote from: foakes on February 10, 2024, 09:57:35 PMThese are 70+ year old reels, Jim —-

Got to get rid of these parts somehow

Best, Fred

Fred did Penn make a bailed version of the green 706 spinfisher ?

No, they didn't.  But the black 706Z had either a bail or no bail.

Somehow, I think I worked on and sold a couple of greenie 706's with bails.  But that was 25 years ago, and I am probably remembering incorrectly.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sabaman1

JIM

kjdunne

In the greenie era, the 704 had a bail, 706 was no bail with a larger rotor cup and spool, same body.
If I remember correctly... (50/50 chance on that)

Kal

jgp12000

That is a nice post card Fred but I know snow has to get old for an outdoorsman like yourself.Maybe nice on Valentines night...Anywho,the Mitchell 304 is so simple like me,I only have 4,2 from ebay,2 Keith gave me.I don't think you can have too many 304s.Tom Hanks needed one on "Castaway" for sure.