Mitchell 308(Taiwan) Spool button

Started by jgp12000, February 10, 2024, 07:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I reely like this Mitchell 308(Taiwan)it's very smooth,but every so often line gets wrapped around the spool release button.Has anyone else ever seen this? I am not sure if I need another spool or what?

jtwill98

Just a guess, either the spool button has a burr on it that the braid is catching on or the reel doesn't play well with braid.

jgp12000

jtwill98

Wow, my apology, I didn't look too closely -- thought it was braid. 

Knowing it's mono, what does the spool button look like under the mess?  Maybe a picture of it will help. 

jgp12000

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 10, 2024, 07:14:16 PMI reely like this Mitchell 308(Taiwan)it's very smooth,but every so often line gets wrapped around the spool release button.Has anyone else ever seen this? I am not sure if I need another spool or what?

It could be a burr on the release button.  But you would have likely noticed that already.

More common culprit is "supply spool coil memory" being wound onto a tiny spool.

A few remedies —-

* Remove the line all of the way straight out (behind a boat is
  best —- with lure on). Just pull on the line a few times to
  slightly stretch it straight.  Reel it back in using a little 
  "Finger-pinching back pressure in front of the reel, while
  holding the rod.

* Keep the top level of the line about 1/8" below the upper lip
  of the spool when filling.

* Try to keep "loose line" from winding onto the spool when
  retrieving.

* The older 308/408 French spools will also work on these reels.
  And they don't have a button that sticks up as far.  And they
  are aluminum.

* Try a different line.

* Always spool these spools in the opposite direction of the coil memory.  And
  always do the spooling by hand, using an old rod bottom with slight back-
  pressure, not too tight.

Let us know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Fred,it has done it with 2 different brands/# line.I always install line as noted,I have never seen a button as high as this one and do have a French spool to try.If that is the fix I will need another French spool at some point.I will update soon.

jgp12000

I installed the French spool and the button seems more conical then the Taiwan version. It protrudes just as much as the Taiwan button did,yet the Taiwan button doesn't protrude as much installed on the French 308. No burrs found. It seems to be a difference in the spindle or spool keeper maybe,not gonna tear apart to find out at this juncture? Time will tell,I caught 3 crappie after the swap no tangles yet. Am I the only guy that goes to church smelling like fish...

Update:
On my last cast the line tried to curl up around the French spool release button,I definitely think it's the difference in the protrusion of the button on the Taiwan 308.

DougK

been fishing a French 308 for fifty years (this year) and never had that happen.. weird.

do have a Taiwan 308 mouldering in the box of 'needs work' reels, will try to dig it out and see..

oc1

Check to see if the bail roller bearing is precisely parallel to the edge of the rotor and spool.  Sometimes it will be off because the stop/bumper has worn where the bail slams shut and hits it.  If the spool is not not precisely parallel to the roller it can do weird things to the line lay.

oldmanjoe

I have had this happen ,I fix it with a thicker drag washer .  It raises the drag nut and the line glides over it  with out catching .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 15, 2024, 01:47:18 PMI have had this happen ,I fix it with a thicker drag washer .  It raises the drag nut and the line glides over it  with out catching .

That will work, Joe —- good thought!  But if the drag nut is raised a little too high —- the line will get under the drag nut if the line is slightly loose or "coily".  Just have to experiment for the Goldilocks height.

Just pulled out a few 308 France —- 408 France —- 3800 Japan —- 308 Taiwan —- 9800 Japan —- 308A, and more.

I can just say this from both fishing and repair experience over the years —-

As Mitchell sought partners across the globe in order to try and be competitive (most anglers were buying price, not quality) —-

They turned to Asia —- first Japan (good reels) —- then other areas of Asia with even cheaper labor.  Along with cheaper labor, also came some diminishment in the quality and materials of the parts.  Cheaper metals, more plastics, pot metal parts that looked good —- but did not hold up, and less precise tolerances between parts.

When you take a close look at the differences —- this becomes very apparent.

For the average angler, fishing for small game fish, the reel seems smooth and will last as long as they need it to —- then off to Wal-Mart for another.  This works.

The next realization likely never even occurs to the average consumer —-

If, when fishing for the average targeted Crappie, Trout, BG, Bass, etc. —- they happen to hook and maybe land a monster —-

Will the Taiwan 308 operate well for the next 20 years —- or the next 20 minutes?

This is hard to explain to folks —- because it is not that obvious.

But if one has fished both, and worked on both —- it is just a matter of observation and some experience.

Gears, trip levers, bails, spools, spool shafts, bearings, bushings, plastics, screws, springs, A/R's, and more —- all come into play when looking at the differences.

I think if you play around a bit with spools, knobs, spacers, trip levers, spacers, etc. —- you will get it dialed in to where you are satisfied.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

That will work, Joe —- good thought!  But if the drag nut is raised a little too high —- the line will get under the drag nut if the line is slightly loose or "coily".  Just have to experiment for the Goldilocks height.

True ,It`s a balancing act .    Mitchel drag nuts run all the way to the spool lip spill .  I think it`s harder to get the line under the nut  .  Looking at the picture there is a lot of button sticking up ,"looks like another spool"

When I was playing with the quick spools , I ran into this problem with line going under the nut when I increased the drag stack .  That`s when I started cutting the well deeper so I can get the nut down to the inner ring .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Well you guys can come up with all kinds of reasons why this might happen but in all reality the main culprit is slack line. It can't happen unless there loose line looping down to grab the drag knob.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I think the difference in the button protrusion is the main factor,but like Tom stated without slack line it can't happen anyway.98% it doesn't happen,the time it did with french spool was all me,I noticed it before it got out of hand though.I just never had it occur on my french 308s ever.