Help identifying marks on spools

Started by Reeltyme, February 11, 2024, 12:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

I found these 2 marks located on Mitchell spools. One of the marks is on a version 2 or 3, not sure of the version, and one was found on a group of spools that came in from a separate purchase. They appear to be Roman numerals but I'm not sure. Could they be identifying marks of the craftsman that worked on the spool? Any help would be appreciated.
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

foakes

I likely have 700-800 Mitchell spools.

When a spool is loaded with line —- one cannot tell if it is a deep or shallow spool capacity.

At one time, Mitchell used these symbols to ID the deep or shallow spools.  This would be handy for pulling a freshly loaded spool out of the tackle box to snap on a reel.

Just look at the symbol from the side —- and you will quickly see how it reads.  It is actually a side view of a spool.  You show both versions in your pics.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reeltyme

Gfish

Yeah. Those look like the oldies with the aluminum drag knob, metal click gear and spindle base.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

happyhooker

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!