starter repair

Started by Bill B, February 11, 2024, 12:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

After 3 years the electric starter on the snow blower seized up. Last year it was giving me problems but was still working.  This year it was a goner.  Ordered a new starter $70 delivered in 3 days.  Slapped it in and we are back in business. With nothing to lose I tore the old starter down to see if it could be repaired. Nothing chanced nothing gained figured.  BTW most of my electric motor repairs end up in a shower of fireworks.

Started with a liberal dose of PB Blaster and was able to get it to move, but not actually run.  5 bolts and it was open.  Inside I found a mess of PB Blaster and rusted parts.  Used a wire wheel to clean up the armature and a Drexel wire wheel to clean up the field coil (?) inside.  Some contact cleaner freed the brushes up and degreased everything else.  The only bearing was ok, but some ReelX sure helped it.

Put everything back together, hoping I got the wires correctly installed and hit the "go" button and it works like it should.  No sparks or fireworks.

I wouldn't want to rely on this starter but as a backup I'll take it.

Lessons learned, it was broke and I couldn't make it worse.  Why not try to fix it.

Now....where's the snow 😁

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Good work, Bill —-

Last February 27, 28, and into March —- we had 5' of snow on the flats —- nearly twice that under the eaves.

Either we will get some more snow, or we won't —- but you are prepped!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

You didn't get snow from the last storm?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

My snow removal equipment is kick start, unfortunatly the wife does the kicking.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Quote from: Keta on February 11, 2024, 02:20:13 AMMy snow removal equipment is kick start, unfortunatly the wife does the kicking.

That's funny right there.

Bill B

Quote from: Keta on February 11, 2024, 02:20:13 AMMy snow removal equipment is kick start, unfortunatly the wife does the kicking.

Now that's funny.  Has she been talking to mine 🤣🤣🤣
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!