Need Help With V5000 Lot Number

Started by Walleye Guy, February 13, 2024, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I'm working on a friend's Ambassadeur V5000 and the lot number is 070007.  I'd like to know the year that this reel was made and I'm hoping one of you can help me because I'm a lot more familiar with decoding older Ambassadeurs than I am with new ones.  I think the year of manufacture is 2007 but this is assuming YYMMRR (RR = revision level) but I think some of the newer reels used MMYYRR (RR = Revision Level).  Thanks in advance for any help.  Update: I added the factory parts diagram.

Robert Janssen

The subtract-10 rule for that period indicates 1997 as year of manufacture.

Walleye Guy

Thank-you!  Is there a website somewhere that you can point me towards that goes through how to decode newer foot numbers?

tincanary

Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 15, 2024, 05:10:52 PMThank-you!  Is there a website somewhere that you can point me towards that goes through how to decode newer foot numbers?

They change frequently.  Current production reels are numbered 00 (revision number) 23 (year of production) SE (Sweden, the country of manufacture).  The naming scheme on that V5000 was used until about a decade ago and changed over to the current format.  Let's break down your foot number.  07 (year designed) 000 (revision number) 07 (year of production).  Like was said above, subtract 10 on those reel feet with those and similar stampings.  This indicates that V5000 is the first revision, designed in 1997 and manufactured in 1997.  Sometime in '99 Abu started putting the week of manufacture at the end of the stamping.  This will be indicated by a /01 or whatever week it was made.  For instance, if the reel foot was stamped 070009/01 then it would indicate designed in '97 and manufactured the first week of '99.

Walleye Guy

Thanks tincanary.  I intended to say thanks as soon as I read your response but when I clicked on the link the forum text was all scrambled.  I don't know why but it did that for a few weeks. Today it works, though.