Some fun we had in Alaska part 8.

Started by gstours, February 19, 2024, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Continuing down the path, some more video to share with anyone interested, only here.  :fish
Kens video for the Forum  81-90.

81.  https://youtu.be/AqXc6ZsJiWA?si=vcSAS-j5sGcsD2Vd   9.7 min.   Here we are fishing for halibuts on the Maiko using an anchor to hold the boat on a spot ive chosen.  The reel in this early clip is a china version of the Tiagra 12, that I got for next to nothing.  I liked the gear ratio, shifting was positive and it had a lot of stainless drive parts.   The drag disk was not carbon fiber and the drag ramp needed some improvement.  So after a lot of fiddling with mostly the ramp it was time to test it,  as I wanted to primarily use it for halibut bait fishing....Ken comes along and is always a good helper.   The reel proved up to the task and the nice fish was icing on the cake.    Every day should have a happy ending if your fishing.......

82.       7.6 Min.  Ken hooks a good halibut while on the Maiko using his favorite Penn rod he broke on my boat {no footage) on a later trip butt that's just to say...... We decide to take this fish home ,  so I do harpoon it and we get it secured to a line.   We always bleed them quickly to be humane and improve the meat quality as shown.
   Our sea water is 45-55f and we don't have sharks inland,  Just Sea Lions that are protected under the Mammal Protection Fed Act.   We all have to eat.....   Generally the fish can be kept on board butt its cooler and cleaner to bleed them and store the fish overboard in the water so its shown here.   Notice the Old Red Cooler shown under the bait cutting tray.   Both of us and you are still with us today.....  Butt does Old make Better?????   

1.6 Min.  Another short clip of my using an electric reel and my friend with the trusty harpoon to try to get a length comparison.   Generally the fish is not willing to cooperate.   Butt you get what you can and try to prevent more misery to mrs. Fish.
    Even when you go home empty handed you know you did good.

84. https://youtu.be/sK9Ko4pWccg?si=QiQKUHRFb8vQeNG4   5.4 Min.   Ken takes another chance and fishes halibuts with me on the Maiko.   It's a nice morning and the tide is gentle as shown.  We are anchored on a slope in about 150 feet of water, and fishing with bait on the bottom......Ken hooks a halibut and shows you his terminal tackle and the Spin, n Glo winged bobber at the top of  his rig.   These are used to try to add some vibration and/ or a movement to stimulate the hali to bite the baited hook.  These seem to work or at least it's a repeatable positive coincidence as it may appear.   The bobber wings are not halibut bite/fight ready and fail quite easily.  Maybe it's the users superstition?   Butt what the ????   

85.      8 min.  Using the Beastmaster in Rakaru mode on the old Maiko .   The weather is calm, sunny, with almost no current.  Ken and I are fishing bait for Hali on the bottom of small cobble.  We have a perplexing time to lay the fish horizontal to get a target are for the harpoon.  Generally there is current or the fish is more active so  here we have a vertical fish and luckily its hooked good.   Ken was always a good helper and we had boatloads of fun together,   glad to share some of our experiences.   Enjoy........

86      !! Min of fun.   Ken and I have fished several hours in a spot for Hali and we picked out a couple,  and put a rod out to catch a pink salmon as they were jumping around the boat off n on.   Ken hooks a halibut and I donn the head cam and get this for you.   A pink slams a small pixy spoon out back and Kens fish seemed like a better value, so he works on his fish,  I got the lil salmon in the net, Kens fish spits the hook, and the Beastmaster reel gets a not to mop up the day.   The fish is harpooned and it makes a fun story for the ride home.   Every day is a good day when your fishin with a friend.......

87.    3.3 min.  A short clip of some action filmed to share with you and others.   Here,s some of the back deck, rods, rigging and gear we used this fun day.  These fish are very good eating.  As we live in an area with ten to twenty miles of road we are limited in dry land activities ,  the boat seems like a natural to expand our opportunities to collect food, have adventure, get tired and stay broke.....

88.   7.2min.  Ken is on the Maiko fishing for halibut,  some pinks are jumping occasionally around the boat, so a Pixee spoon is sent out back to dangle in the top water using the spinning rod.   A lil salmon is hooked and we get it in the net. Ken goes back to reeling in his halibut.  We get it in and get it cared for in the calm weather that we did enjoy.
       15 min. Here,s a  clip of fishing halibuts on Kens boat the Sea Star,  a 28 ft Almar inboard diesel ,  we are anchored in a flat sea with grey skys. After catching a few fish we but hook a fish at about the same time. Ive got the headcam going to film Kens fish as his seems noteworthy,  as he said his fish'' will be a while'' I try to deal with my jig fish. I think mine can be kept so Ken sits his rod and helps me harpoon my fish to secure it,  then we go back to Kens fish and here is where the fun is.  I try to release the fish but the dehooker tool and my reach cannot get the hook to rotate the hook. The fish gets nervous and then its just a dangerous thrashing to tear it out or drop the tool.
   The fish is to strong to hold with the tool.   Mrs Hal sounds a while and I get to help bring her back up.  Ken sez '' let me do it''.  He does a masterful job and the fish is freed from his lucky favorite jig.  We get the jig back to sit in the sink on a fun ride home.
     I sure wish we could do this again,  Just one more Time...

90.  ttps://youtu.be/U4TDh9EAgDI   8.5 min.    The Maiko and Ken were sometimes the default for when I wanted to go fishing.   Ken liked salmon fishing as well as still do,  butt salmon is a seasonal thing for fishers,  other places in the northwest have the same anticipation
 for the traditional salmon to return.   So here is a recreational time killer to do some fishing until that salmon season comes around.\
             We as said go out to fish for relaxation.   The headcam is shaky and it gets what it can.  Teamwork makes it a lot easier to get back to fishin or getting back home to deal with the fun catch......Thanks for coming along......