114h T60XN the Red Grouper

Started by steelfish, February 24, 2024, 01:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, Its my time to built the bigger bro of my T4N1 reel, the big old 114h XN, I couldnt have the kit when Randy offered years ago but lucky me was on the time and place to grab the one my compadre Gregg put on sale some weeks ago.

I have a donor 114h reel which is missing the spool and half frame that I never cared to build it back until getting that tiburon XN kit recently, then got some SS parts and the drag upgrade pack from Jason as this one https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37574.0.html

the rings that came on the donor reel were to ugly with some corrosion, so I sanded them and painted them bright red with 3 final coats of spray urethane, pretty sure it wont hold but even when they got scratched and missing spots of paint will look 3x better than how they were before  ^-^ and I can always take them out and install the shiny ones that Jason sent me along the SS parts.

I have two brass dogs and used them to help me to cut the sideplate to adapt a second dog, but I will order some SS 114 dogs from mystic in few days, I liked the sound of non-syncro dogs but still dont know if I will installed syncro or non-syncro dogs when finally got the SS dogs.

the think I need to order before build the reel and I havent found where to get it is the Eccentric Jack, the one that come with the donor reel has the "legs" just bent but Im looking for the reinforced Jack, on Mystic parts the part 11-114 shows a picture of the old style jack not the reinforced one, I dont know if thats the one they send or the reinforced one and just never updated that picture

this an old post from Sal where he recommend to use the reinforced Jack with beefer tabs

so, still missing to finish the reel although I have the stock parts to build it but Im not in a hurry.

- 2 SS dogs
- Reinforced Eccentric Jack
- take the 80# braid out and install 100# braid on it, its better here for abrasion purposes to use heavy braid line
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Those red rings are unusual looking. But it's kinda cool I like it. Happy to have contributed.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 24, 2024, 02:13:23 AMThose red rings are unusual looking. But it's kinda cool I like it. Happy to have contributed.

thanks to you amigo

agree on the rings, I might do something similar to my 113hXN reel  ::)  ::)
The Baja Guy

Gfish

The T60XN lives on! As the "Red Grouper"... Nice work Alex, I like that red ring look.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

Looks great. I like mine. I just need to fish it more.

Todd
Todd

Crab Pot

Nice build Alejandro.

I like the rings as well.

Do you have any places where you could get those anodized near you?

If so please let me know, anodizing/chrome plating shops here in the Peoples Republic are closing left and right. I use to use a guy in Sacramento but he pulled the plug a few years ago and moved to the Free State of Nevada.

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

ReelFishingProblems

Looks good! Can't wait to get the post operation report

jurelometer

Quote from: Crab Pot on March 14, 2024, 03:35:03 AMNice build Alejandro.

If so please let me know, anodizing/chrome plating shops here in the Peoples Republic are closing left and right. I use to use a guy in Sacramento but he pulled the plug a few years ago and moved to the Free State of Nevada.

Thanks,

Steve

The Penn rings are brass.  They cannot be anodized. Powder coating is the preferred method if you want colors.  You usually need to blast off all the old chrome first.

I have  done a bit for myself and for a few other members that spoke kindly of my home state of  California  8) .  Not too tricky, but does require some equipment.  Powder coating services are usually not too hard to find here, as the process doesn't involve toxic chemicals.

-J

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sabaman1

Awesome build amigo! That will be a hit amongst all your fellow pangueros down in Baja.
JIM

Crab Pot

Quote from: jurelometer on March 14, 2024, 01:15:47 PMThe Penn rings are brass.  They cannot be anodized. Powder coating is the preferred method if you want colors.  You usually need to blast off all the old chrome first.

I have  done a bit for myself and for a few other members that spoke kindly of my home state of  California  8) .

Jurelometer,

Nice build as well, I prefer black sided Penn's over red but I'm not that picky.

Lesson for the day: brass cannot be anodized. There is a powder coater I use in Rancho Cordova, I'll hit him up in the future.

For the record: I Love California's recreational activities and weather, been here for 45+ years!

I'll leave it at that.  :d

What city do you live in?

Thanks,

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Gfish

"Kin-folks said Californiee is the place you outta be, so they loaded-up the car and moved to Berkley..." Actually Hayward, where I was borne, but it didn't rhyme. My Parents moved there in '54 from Minnesota.

It's hard to beat the geographical/ecosystem variety of Calie. I haven't been everywhere, but I've never seen it anywhere else. I also like people variety, and Calie has it. But there's too doggon many of them! Also, the various types don't blend together as well as they could, like here.

It's tax season and I'm enjoying the thought that Hawaii dosen't take 5% of many types of income as the"PRC" does. I'll definitely benefit from that. And that's another negative, it costs so much for the middle and lower class to live there comfortably. Housing and many other durable and non-durables are expensive here, electricity is crazy expensive. I'd love to see a cost/benifit  comparison done, Hawaii vs Calie, maybe it's even more expensive here?
 And I thought we were relatively fire disaster safe, until the fire in Lahaina. Then there's them hurricanes and possible tsunami's. These kinda events have a real negative impact on local economies.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Crab Pot on March 14, 2024, 03:35:03 AMNice build Alejandro.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, well I dont know any places that can do the anodizing or chrome plating, I did painted the rings as experiment and I liked but I will use the rings and I will think on powder coating them when I saw them with lots of scratches and with tons of spots missing paint

@Sabaman1, thanks bud

@Alan tani, thanks Jefe
The Baja Guy