San Diego Fish Processing - It's Important!

Started by Brewcrafter, February 24, 2024, 04:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Just a heads up for the Ohana - with the huge volumes of sportfishing in San Diego, timely fish processing is not a given.  Before I get to my reason for this post, let me state some generalities:
1 - There are three prominent fish processors in San Diego.  I have used two of them.  They all do a good job, and they are all comparably priced.  This is not about "who is best" this is purely informational.
2 - Fisherman's Processing is transitioning to an online reservation system.  If you already have reservations for fish processing for your trip this year - you will probably receive a call from them.  If you have not heard from them and have a reservation that you placed, reach out to them.  If you have a trip booked this year and you do not have processing booked with anyone...shame on you (see item #1).
3 - Have I mentioned how critical it is to attach the same importance to your processing as you do for your trip?  Especially if you are travelling some distance to get here.  When you put your money down on your trip, book a processor reservation the same day.  And in the case of Fisherman's Processing, it appears they are going to be requiring deposits for reservations going forward, and reservations will be done through an online portal similar to how the Long Range boats do it.
Moral of the story:  You have already booked your trip, book your processing at the same time!  The more we as sportsman can do to give the processors a little visibility; the better job they can do with being able to process the insane amounts of fish that can hit the dock at times. The time to figure out what you are going to do with catch is NOT once you hit the dock... - john

Keta

I made my reservations by the"old" method at Fisherman's, by e-mail.  They called me 10 minutes after opening and helped me get into the new system.  I had to pay a refundable $100 deposit.  If I come back with no fish on the mid May 3 day trip the deposit is refunded. 100% chance I will have fish on the late October 10 day.

As far as I am conserned Fisherman's is the only place to go if you are not going to cut your own fish. So far they have made sure my fish was ready early the same day for the long drive home.

No matter who you decide to process your fish make reservations ASAP.... or sooner.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

THIS IS AN EXTEREMLY RELAVENT POST!!!!!!!!

Reserving your processing has to be the very next thing you do after booking any length trip.

This is very important if you need same day processing....

Thanks for the reminder for me to call and ensure they have my reservation on the books as I made my reservations about 6 months ago....

David Hall

Booked my processing before I booked my hotel~ :d

MarkT

Fortunately, I'm only an hour or so away and am retired so I don't worry about it. I can come down to pick up my fish when they call to say it's ready. If I make a same day reservation I may mess up someone who can't afford to come back to pick it up.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

Quote from: David   Hall on March 22, 2024, 06:35:53 PMBooked my processing before I booked my hotel~ :d

That's  exactly what I did ...    8)

COOL
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

pjstevko

I called 5 Star today and verified they in fact had my reservations on the books and they did.  I'm all set for my 2 trips

Bill B

Quote from: MarkT on March 23, 2024, 01:38:56 AMFortunately, I'm only an hour or so away and am retired so I don't worry about it. I can come down to pick up my fish when they call to say it's ready. If I make a same day reservation I may mess up someone who can't afford to come back to pick it up.

Mark after last years 8 day Fisherman's Processing wouldn't take my fish! Said they had no more room.  I even told them I'm not looking for same day processing.  Ended up with 5 Star (Mario's was not even there) and 5 Star were reluctant to take anymore fish.

This year I tried to book Fisherman's for the 8 day and could not make a reservation with them.

I highly recommend you try to make a reservation with some one.  I was not looking forward to trying to get 500lbs of fish home to process myself.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reeltyme

After reading this thread (and never have dealt with the problem) it sounds to me like some enterprising young individual needs to think about a start up business to accommodate the shortage of processors, even if it's a seasonal or part time thing! Just a thought.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Reeltyme on March 23, 2024, 09:21:32 AMAfter reading this thread (and never have dealt with the problem) it sounds to me like some enterprising young individual needs to think about a start up business to accommodate the shortage of processors, even if it's a seasonal or part time thing! Just a thought.
I keep thinking that too. I personally enjoy filleting my catch but I'm not sure I enjoy it enough to make a business out of it. I'm sure licensing is...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

California is not a good place to start a business and I think it requires a certified facility.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: Reeltyme on March 23, 2024, 09:21:32 AMAfter reading this thread (and never have dealt with the problem) it sounds to me like some enterprising young individual needs to think about a start up business to accommodate the shortage of processors, even if it's a seasonal or part time thing! Just a thought.

That is how and why Five Star Fish Processing got started.