Fishing with Thorhammer

Started by ReelFishingProblems, February 26, 2024, 12:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

I drove down to North Carolina after work on Friday and met Thorhammer at his lake cabin. I was pleasantly greeted with chicken legs cooking on the grill. We BSed and drank some brown liquor I brought with me and beers until way too late at night (or morning).

Saturday morning we woke up with a couple headaches (it was still early morning), skipped breakfast and got out on the water. The wind was up and the temperatures were down. We scouted a good portion of the lake in search for striped bass to no avail. After a few hours we headed back into the dock to grab lunch and switch out gear.

After resetting for the afternoon we grabbed a handful of Dam Quick microlight and Garcia 408s on Wright McGill Featherlight rods. We spent the rest of the afternoon chasing white perch. We had some success landing two decent size perch and one monster (see photo).

As the sun went down we headed out to the middle of the lake to watch storms pass on both sides of us (few miles away) and cast some poppers just to see how they would cast. We headed back to Thor's dock and he whipped up some steak on the grill, home fries, asparagus, and toast.

In the morning the temperature was even lower than Saturday due to no cloud cover. We ate breakfast (sausage and eggs with leftover taters). We got on the water which was like glass and tried to increase our count of perch. No more perch, but Thor landed a nice channel cat on a featherlight rod with a DAM Quick Microlight. We fished until 2 then headed in. I packed up with a few goodies from Thor and drove back north.

Thorhammer is one of the good ones on this planet. I am lucky to count him as one of my friends. I plan on heading down there a couple more times before heading back to Olympia, Washington for good this summer. MaxxedOut and I will have to double down on the pressure campaign to get Thor up to the Pacific Northwest.

Photo: We tried to make our smallest perch look big and mean, I think it just made me look like I have balloon hands!

foakes

Thanks!

Great report!  John knows his way around the best equipment.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:) Any day on the water ,is a good day ..   >:D  Least you caught some bait .   :fish
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

Sounds like you ate good too!I can't find the Eagle Claw featherlight rods local anymore,just
Walmart,Amazon,or Blain's Farm online.They are some of my favorite rods.

Long Enuff

Thor is one of the good ones!  He checked on me recently to make sure I was still above ground.

steelfish

thanks for sharing, looks like a excellent weekend
The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

Dominick

Yep, John Thorhammer is one of the best.  Shared a rail with him when he went through the bay area several years ago.  He's due to come by again.  'Sup John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Dominick on March 02, 2024, 09:07:30 PMYep, John Thorhammer is one of the best.  Shared a rail with him when he went through the bay area several years ago.  He's due to come by again.  'Sup John.  Dominick
Dom, John can see posts but cannot respond. He says the paella was epic as was the presence of AT royalty.
I think it should be an easy task of getting him back to the best coast.

Nick