A Few Knives

Started by foakes, February 27, 2024, 12:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Had this old Steelmaster 5 drawer box that really wasn't being used.  Just out in storage for 25 years.

Decided to gather up all of the knives I could find stashed in various places.

Only (2) custom knives here —- the rest are basically just decent quality EDC knives, hunting knives, tool knives, or cheap stuff.

Some of the brands are Boker, Remington, Schrade, Old-Timer, Case, Buck, Bear, Ka-Bar, Kershaw, Gerber, CRKT, Swiss Army, Camillus, Sheffield, and a bunch of others.

There is likely a few more hiding around.

These are not high dollar knives, or fantasy knives —- they are mostly quality working man's knives —- with a few others thrown in.

My Dad carried a Case Stockman in yellow for 30 years.  Bought it when he worked as a hardware clerk at Sears-Roebuck in the late 40's.

Many of these could be carried and used for a lifetime also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelFishingProblems

Fred,

How old is that Martiini Rapala filet knife?

foakes

I wouldn't know, Nick —-

Maybe 60's?

The solid leather sheath is marked Made in Finland by J. Martini.  The blade is also signed as Made by J.Martini in Finland & etched as hand ground Stainless Steel.

Just found it at the bottom of an old tackle box years ago.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelFishingProblems

I was given a j. Martiini knife by a Finnish military officer. Beautifully made. I picked up a J. Martiini Rapala filet knife with a leather sheath here in DC. They are simple but very nice (and sharp).

ReelFishingProblems

Really like the long thin ones in the lower left of the drawer (picture 5). The 4th from the bottom left is a neat one.

Hardy Boy

Wgat are the 2nd and 3rd from left hunting knives on the green drawer.... those are right up my alley.

Todd
Todd

PacRat

Fred,
In the rear left of your Bear/Boxes/Kabar drawer, you have a Rizzuto swing-guard. Are you aware of how much those have appreciated? It's crazy, likely 20-30 times its original cost. I used to buy them in Mexico when I was a kid and I would just wear them out because I couldn't leave them alone. Currently they are going for $200-$350. They have a weird cult following. For comparison, a higher-quality handmade Italian stiletto with horn or antler scales costs about $120.

foakes

The 2nd from the left is a Ka-Bar 1255 Mariner's Rigging knife with a sheep foot blade.  I bought it from a good member on our site.  It originally came with a separate Marlin Spike and a double sheath to hold both pieces —- which I don't have.  Looking for one though.

The 3rd is a Japanese Khyber 2650 SS in 8 1/4" length.  It has a great feel and also a full covering leather sheath.

Didn't know that about the Rizzuto Stilletto, Mike.  It is marked made in Milano, SS, works perfectly and crisply.  Belonged to my Mother-in-Law who passed on 12 years ago at 93.
It was a gift from her brother when he came back from the Service, I think WWII.  He was a fighter pilot in the European Theatre.  And he was Italian.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jgp12000

I have a small knife collection,if you guys ever visit Pigeon Forge,TN Smoky Mountain Knife Works is a must see! 3 stories of knives & swords you could spend hours there.I Believe they
Have a shopping program once a week showcasing different knives they sell.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 27, 2024, 07:47:27 AMI have a small knife collection,if you guys ever visit Pigeon Forge,TN Smoky Mountain Knife Works is a must see! 3 stories of knives & swords you could spend hours there.I Believe they
Have a shopping program once a week showcasing different knives they sell.
Been there years ago. as a kid obsessed with sharp things, it was the only enjoyable thing about pigeon forge.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Years ago I was in wally world browsing the fishing section and saw the wood handle rapala fin knife marked $3.50 :o I always thought they looked cheap and steered clear.It is probably one of the best fillet knives I own. I keep it in my truck.The flexibility & sharpens easily-scary sharp! Wally honored the incorrect price after they verified it was marked on the shelf.If I could have bought 10 knowing how good they are now I would have!

Midway Tommy

I bought my first Rapala over 50 years ago and still have it & use it to this day. I have 6 or 8 of them now, at least one in each tackle box & fishing place. I've tried a few other brands over the years but never found anything that could compare to an original wood handle Rapala. 8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Good to look at.  I don't collect knives, but any male American who fishes or who ever does even the simplest repairs must have several around the house/shop, me included.  I appreciate good workmanship.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 27, 2024, 06:02:54 PMI bought my first Rapala over 50 years ago
Mine was given to me for my birthday about 1964.  The wood handle cracked a long time ago but it's wrapped with some nylon line and varnished to keep the crack from getting worse.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 29, 2024, 05:53:23 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 27, 2024, 06:02:54 PMI bought my first Rapala over 50 years ago
Mine was given to me for my birthday about 1964.  The wood handle cracked a long time ago but it's wrapped with some nylon line and varnished to keep the crack from getting worse.

I have one that cracked and I inserted some Titebond Ultimate waterproof urethane based glue, clamped it & it's held up just fine.

I originally had my doubts about that Ultimate, but it's pretty darn good stuff. I've used it for quite a few exterior projects. I've even used it as deteriorated wood hardener, painted over it and it ended up working great. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)