Makaira 8II Question

Started by SoCal Redneck, March 14, 2012, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Redneck

Just got a brand new Makaira 8II in the mail.  Can anyone familiar with this/these reels tell me if it's normal for the reel to make a clicking/buzzing sound similar to a penn reel when turning the handle while in hi gear that seems to be almost non existent in low gear. It makes the noise even if spool is not turning.  I thought these reels were supposed to be silent.  sorry for the stupid question but with my luck, I'd get the 1 out of 1000 that is messed up. ;D

Bryan Young

That sounds strange.  All of the Makairas that I've handled were all silent.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

maybe just gear noise?  you have a 5 year guarantee.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCal Redneck

Pulled it apart, confirmed some of what others have noticed.  Barely a smudge of grease to call it greased inside the cover, screws holding on reel seat had lock tight on them...didn't service the bearings figured I'd let okuma take a look at it first.  Tried to get them to send me a high pinion gear to swap out...thinking it could only be that or the high gear being a little rough and not meshing up properly, they wanted me to send it to them.  They offered me a free hat for having to send it to them...kinda makes up for shipping cost I suppose. ;D

Just wanted to say thanks to Alan and the other guys again for doing the editorials on how to break down these reels.  With out them I wouldn't have had the gonads to pull apart a brand new $400+ reel. 

I will update on Okuma customer service...so far one call, got a live person who was very polite and offered a free hat. 8)

"hana pa`a"

SoCal Redneck

Okuma is sending a brand new reel for replacement.  I guess they haven't had this noise issue before. Impressed with Okuma customer service!!

Rare

SoCal Redneck

Okuma sent me a new reel and included 2 hats.  Turn around time was about 10 days. 
New reel makes the same noise.... it takes 4-5 turns before it makes it after shifting from low to high.
Still not sure if this is normal ???  maybe just gear noise but somtimes makes it and sometimes doesn't make it.  No stores around here carrry them to compare reels.  Can anybody with a mak 8 or 10 chime in?
maybe I'll do quick video with sound to show.  Maybe it's inherent with the 8's.

regardless, it's getting broken in on Neah Bay bigg butts soon!

alantani

i'm wondering if it's just normal gear noise......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

locknut

If the 8II is the same as the 10II and 15II then mine are as good as silent. I do have 10S Cedros that makes a buzzing noise at times always in the same handle position but my 15S Cedros is silent. I would give it a good thrashing and see if it gets any worse. You have a five yr warrantee so what have you to loose. I have always had fantasic service from the agent here in New Zealand.

shanara

I know this is an old thread but I have 3 mak sea the first two make a slight buzzing like gear whine in high speed only low is silent(one 50 one 20) I have just received a third 50 that is completely silent in both gears. How common is the buzzing and has anyone managed to silence it? Regards and thank you

Bryan Young

Quote from: shanara on March 18, 2015, 04:59:53 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have 3 mak sea the first two make a slight buzzing like gear whine in high speed only low is silent(one 50 one 20) I have just received a third 50 that is completely silent in both gears. How common is the buzzing and has anyone managed to silence it? Regards and thank you
I have 4 MK15 SEAs and 6 MK10 SEAs and about half have high speed gear noise.  I think it's common on a percentage of the reels.  Probably has to do with manufacturing and assembly tolerances.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

shanara

Thanks Brian, I can live with the sound. They were bought to replace a couple of tiagra 50w that are just too big for me with the advent of braid and I like the much higher drag capability for 130 test over a tiagra 30w however 2 areas where I feel the tiagras are superior is the feel of the drag lever as it applies pressure even the notched a series is much smoother than the mak and also the machining on the side surfaces of the tiagra spools is much smoother than the mak where you can feel the machining lines regards and thank you