Vintage Reel identification help needed

Started by jtwill98, March 04, 2024, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

I acquired these six reels and while I can identify the four on the right, I have no clue as to the make/model of the two on the far left.  Would someone here be able to identify them?

The four on the right are:
Mid-Back - Alcedo 2C
Rt-Back - Airtex Mastereel Model 3
Mid Front - JC Higgins 778.31620 (possibly an Alcedo Micro?)
Rt-Front - Luxor #2

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jtwill98

I'm not sure what happened I thought it was there.

Midway Tommy

The Higgins is an Alcedo copy made in Japan in the mid '60s. There were a lot of them made by Olympic for different companies using different names such as Tina-Mite, Herter's, etc.

Bottom left is a Trimline Trim-Spin made in NY from the early '50s'

Top left is a RU. Not sure which model and can't even tell whether or not it's a full or half bail because of the photo angle & distance, but the handle knob is not original OEM.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

Thank you for the identifications Tommy! The RU is a half-bail reel.

The Trimline Trim-Spin reel is the simplest reel I've ever taken apart cleaned and reassembled.

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Interesting reel. Looks like Jtwill98's reel has a Penn knob. How did they attach it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jtwill98

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 04, 2024, 06:54:10 PMThe RU is a Rumer Super from 1954.

Wow! Tommy you have a wealth of knowledge upstairs. 

I never heard of this nor the Spincaster reels. The RU is a big spinner and works very good, although the drag seems weak. I'm not sure what to say about the Penn handle knob, it appears to be riveted. I see what Tommy pointed out with the link.

All in the reels pictured, appear to be in good condition since cleaning.  A few of them had what I considered crayon grease, hard and brittle.  Two of them had gummy grease, really sticky. 

I'm astonished that I was able to pick up this collection on the auction site (including the bait casters headed sabaman1's way) for $18.50 plus shipping.  Overall, I happy with the purchase.

If anyone would like a look inside of them I can reopen them and take pictures of any or all. 

Midway Tommy

A look inside the Higgins to see if it's worm gear driven like it's siblings would be interesting.

I have a RU Sport half bail. It's similar to the RU-Mer Super only a little smaller. I always felt the drag & drag knob were kind of flimsy, otherwise the reel doesn't seem terrible.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Quote from: jtwill98 on March 04, 2024, 10:12:54 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 04, 2024, 06:54:10 PMThe RU is a Rumer Super from 1954.

Wow! Tommy you have a wealth of knowledge upstairs. 

I never heard of this nor the Spincaster reels. The RU is a big spinner and works very good, although the drag seems weak. I'm not sure what to say about the Penn handle knob, it appears to be riveted. I see what Tommy pointed out with the link.

All in the reels pictured, appear to be in good condition since cleaning.  A few of them had what I considered crayon grease, hard and brittle.  Two of them had gummy grease, really sticky. 

I'm astonished that I was able to pick up this collection on the auction site (including the bait casters headed sabaman1's way) for $18.50 plus shipping.  Overall, I happy with the purchase.

I anyone would like a look inside of them I can reopen them and take pictures of any or all. 

Great purchase.
Congratulations!

foakes

Here is a RU-PACIFIC, made in France.

It is a very large Surf-Caster with a unique bail trip operation & a rotor that cycles up and down —- instead of the spool.

Drag is probably OK for the era it was produced —-  around 70 years ago.

Drag wasn't as important to anglers back in the day, as it seems to be to anglers today.

The technique of using a 10' - 12' rod, and taking advantage of gaining on the fish with the rod-handling instead of relying on the reel —- was the procedure the old-timers used.

The reel needed to stand up to salt, breakers, current, and the occasional 30-40 lb. fish —- but the reel was primarily just a piece of equipment to retrieve line after the rod gained a few yards.

Lots of history there, John.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jtwill98

A look inside of a few reels.