Newell S 338-5 with stuck pinion on spool shaft

Started by steelfish, March 08, 2024, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I have a couple gear sets if you need a set Alex
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

try to lightly,carefully, hammer DOWN first.  see if it will loosen in the down direction, first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldmanjoe

;D You could put the soaking parts tub on top of the clothes washing machine for vibrating bath .    >:D     The dish washer machine is no help yet ...   :fish 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: alantani on March 11, 2024, 08:38:45 PMtry to lightly,carefully, hammer DOWN first.  see if it will loosen in the down direction, first. 
I agree ,  the pinion is all the down " fully seated "      Needle nose pliers ,tweeters or forceps to put under the reels yoke and try tapping the shaft down .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Alex is surrounded by smoothly running machinery. Except this reel of course.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

in the down direction, it might loosen just a little, just enough.  it might be worth a try. 

steelfish

well, the reel had already few days on a bath of different lubricants so, after reading all the tips and comments I want it to try some that sounded pretty clever, like just a bit hitting the pinion gear down and tapping the spool shaft as Joe commented.

I also found a way to take the bridge out which was attached to the pinion, that gave me more room to try to work on the pinion

as you could see the pinion was all seated down on the spool, that was because I put a long but thin wrench socket to hit it gently trying to brake the seal

then I tried to lift it using two steel bent-tip tooth picks and I could felt it got moved just enough to put two thin flat screw drivers to try the Alantani technique  ;)

then, I could felt that I moved the pinion again, Dude I felt that I was gaining this battle cuz the pinion moved a bit higher as you can see in the next pic ;D  ;D  8)  8)

ooh man was like those moments when you say that everything work with a little patience and technique without forcing anything  ^-^ 

the I took another set of screwdriver with a bigger tip to move the pinion a bit more higher, when suddenly one of the screwdriver's tip slip while I was applying contrary force with the other screwdriver and I just saw the spool went flying across the room hitting the floor with some Batman "sound effects" like "Kpow","pow", "zzaap" and a loud "CRASH"
well short story, this is not a happy ending story but a case of a MAJOR FAILURE !!

the damage was the spool lost a part of the lip and I dont know if its still straight :-[  :'(  :'(

maybe with some crazy glue and PC-7 cement under the crack can save it  :(  but it still have the pinion badly attached to the shaft LOL  >:D  >:D  :-X

ooh well, I need to charge more for each repair or service, learning from mistakes is becoming pretty expensive school, good thing this expensive mistake was made on one of my reels.

the 2nd good news here (yeah right) is that I wanted to make the reel work just to sell some parts of the reel to covert it into a narrower version a Newell 322, not much to sell now maybe just the reelseat  ::) but that will be later, this reel now goes to the project-to-fishing-soon drawer
The Baja Guy

jtwill98

alantani

the pinion gear already looks damaged beyond use.  did you already try channel locks on the gear teeth?  if so, the gear is shot.  may as well muscle it of with vise grips.   :-\

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on March 12, 2024, 07:45:27 PMthe pinion gear already looks damaged beyond use.  did you already try channel locks on the gear teeth? 

guilty, I was set on using a replacement gear set from a jigmaster so, at some moment opted for using a channel locks, but even with channel locks the pinion didnt moved a bit and I didnt wanted to bend the shaft so, I dropped the idea, seems that I couldnt change the destiny of the spool  ::)  :P

The Baja Guy

alantani

with channel locks, you should be able to muscle it off. 

Swami805

I have a 338 spool if you need one Alex
  I don't have a 322 spool, not easy to find. No big trick on a base and bars, same as a Penn 501
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on March 13, 2024, 12:44:55 AMI have a 338 spool if you need one Alex
  I don't have a 322 spool, not easy to find. No big trick on a base and bars, same as a Penn 501

thanks compadre Sheridan very kind from your part as always but Im not planning to repair this reel with trashed Gears and trashed spool, Newell reels and parts have "CULT" prices and Im not a newell guy to expend good amount of money on this one (hopefully mi compa Dwight dont read this haha).

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

:(  I know that feeling when it moves a whisker .  You just want to keep pushing it .
        You now have hind sight that just put it back in the bath and let "the man in the can work " { penetrating oil }  .  I think you can glue the rim piece , look like it`s just the part that keeps the line from going under the ring / side plate . 
            Weeks worth of patience says me , I have learned from my mistakes ..  :fish 

Hamachi

Aw, man, it pained me to watch all week unable to reply to this. Could it be as simple as tapping the spool shaft with a plastic hammer? Well tap at first until you get the feel of how hard you can actually hit it without deforming the spool shaft. If you don't have a hard plastic hammer you could use the handle of a large screwdriver. Even if you mushroom the end of the shaft you could file it back into shape, but you usually wont have to. Just take it slow and feel how hard you can hit it before damage occurs. Grab the pinion ring with a pair of vise grips, rounded jaws preferred and hammer away. Lube when it starts moving. Hope I'm not too late, but it looks like the damage has already been done. Good luck.

By the looks of it now, you could fashion a gear puller out of a nut and bolt and a piece of scrap metal.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!