Newell S 338-5 with stuck pinion on spool shaft

Started by steelfish, March 08, 2024, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have another neglected newell reel, its a S338-5 model, the owner forgot he have it and the reel spent years on a humid corner, the main gear was kind stuck to the sleeve but I managed to take it out without much effort but the pinion its practically frozen to the spool shaft and I have no place to put anything to use as lever and lift the pinion or something.
Already tried heat with a heatgun, days submerged on WD-40 and another similar lubricants but no avail.

I don't know if the pinion is already shot, maybe there is no other way than use a locking pliers and force it and search for a main + pinion for the reel afterwards.
any ideas before trashing the pinion gear?

the rest of the parts were cleaned really good and look pretty good even the Sleeve, the stainless steel used on these newells reels is amazing.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Have you considered trying very aggressive vibration? That combined with a penetrating oil will free a lot of things.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 08, 2024, 07:59:47 PMHave you considered trying very aggressive vibration? That combined with a penetrating oil will free a lot of things.

what is aggressive vibration?  ??? never heard of that
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I've gotten a few of those and never was able to get the pinion off, too much crap in the way to really get at it very well
Seems to be more of a problem with the S series, never seen it on the others
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on March 08, 2024, 08:07:28 PMI've gotten a few of those and never was able to get the pinion off, too much crap in the way to really get at it very well

Compa Sheridan, Im afraid of the answer of this but, what have you done in those cases?
The Baja Guy

OhReely

Use penetrating oil, let it stew for a few days.
Alternate hot (small torch) and very cold (canned compressed air turned upside down and spray).
Rapid heating and cooling may break the seal.
Do it several times in succession, watch your fingers, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.

Swami805

I cut off the pinion with a dremel. Just try not to damage the spool shaft.  At least you won't damage the yoke trying to pry it off
I had 2 S533 like that, they might as well be welded on.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

:)   Do you have a weeks worth of patience ?     I would wire brush clean the pinion -shaft , to make a canal .    I would use calcium, lime and rust remover also know as hydochloric acid .   Small paint brush or Q tip to keep it wet .   Let it work for a few hours .   It bubbles the rust a little faster than penetrating oil .

A little heat helps also .     Do you have a automobile battery terminal puller just to put a little pressure on it while the chemicals work .  You may have to make a yoke like piece to put in front of the reels yoke to make the puller work.   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bryan Young

I would disassemble the bridge plate even further by re,living the shift lever, the eccentric and whatever parts you can remove. This would give you a little bit more room to play with to remove the yoke from the pinion gear and spool so you are dealing with just the pinion gear and spool. Then I would use one of those rust eliminating chemicals like CLR.

If you must trash the gears, please don't toss the pinion and main gear. I could reuse the ring from the pinion gear on a different pinion gear and mate it up with the Main gear.  For a cheap replacement, use a PENN 500 gear set and the reel will now be a 4:1 gear ratio but it'll work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

In this situation, patients is paramount, give it plenty of time to soak it in what ever lube you use, I prefer acetone & auto transmission fluid, maybe try to use a long socket, over the shaft, & tap the pinion, down a bit before you try to, force it of, it could take you a week, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

So yeah re vibration, soak it for a few days in the solvent cocktail of your choice then tape it to the top side of a palm sander or something. Let it run without sandpaper on a table for a few minutes. Bet something gets shook loose.

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on March 08, 2024, 11:35:12 PMI cut off the pinion with a dremel. Just try not to damage the spool shaft.  At least you won't damage the yoke trying to pry it off
I had 2 S533 like that, they might as well be welded on.

I was afraid of this LOL but I think its better than trashing the spool, pinion and more parts if using extreme force by losing patience, I will have it on mind as a last resort.

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 09, 2024, 12:52:10 AM:)  Do you have a weeks worth of patience ?    I would wire brush clean the pinion -shaft , to make a canal .    I would use calcium, lime and rust remover also know as hydochloric acid .  Small paint brush or Q tip to keep it wet .  Let it work for a few hours .  It bubbles the rust a little faster than penetrating oil .

A little heat helps also .    Do you have a automobile battery terminal puller just to put a little pressure on it while the chemicals work .  You may have to make a yoke like piece to put in front of the reels yoke to make the puller work.
Joe, I have never seen that rust remover before but I can ask for something similar here in Baja, Hydrochoride Acid "looks" like something that need to handle with extra-care.
I dont have of of those battery terminal pullers  :-[

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 10, 2024, 01:02:53 AMI would disassemble the bridge plate even further by re,living the shift lever, the eccentric and whatever parts you can remove. This would give you a little bit more room to play with to remove the yoke from the pinion gear and spool so you are dealing with just the pinion gear and spool. Then I would use one of those rust eliminating chemicals like CLR.

If you must trash the gears, please don't toss the pinion and main gear. I could reuse the ring from the pinion gear on a different pinion gear and mate it up with the Main gear.  For a cheap replacement, use a PENN 500 gear set and the reel will now be a 4:1 gear ratio but it'll work.

I tried already to take the most parts on the bridge to see if I could leave only the pinion on the spool shaft but I couldnt without bending too much the yoke, I dont know if it would be trashed or can be bent to the original flat form again without damage.
I recalled that one of the Penn gears of the 500 size would fit on this reel but I wasnt sure about which one from the 500, 501, 505 or even 506 was, thanks for pointing this out.

the main gear has lots of corrosion on the teeth so, even if I can take the pinion out surely this reel will feel pretty "Geary and noisy", so maybe it deserves a new gear set anyway.

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 10, 2024, 01:38:17 AMIn this situation, patients is paramount, give it plenty of time to soak it in what ever lube you use, I prefer acetone & auto transmission fluid, maybe try to use a long socket, over the shaft, & tap the pinion, down a bit before you try to, force it of, it could take you a week, good luck, cheers Don.

nice tip about taping the pinion down a bit to try to break the metal seal of corrosion

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 10, 2024, 02:17:08 AMSo yeah re vibration, soak it for a few days in the solvent cocktail of your choice then tape it to the top side of a palm sander or something. Let it run without sandpaper on a table for a few minutes. Bet something gets shook loose.
sounds like it might work, but I have no idea where I use or borrow a palm sander  :-\
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Well it ain't for a palm tree if that's what you're wondering.

Other options include a jigsaw without a blade (for safety sake since you'd be leaving it running for a bit. Or any reciprocating saw for that matter. Or anything where an unbalanced weight moves quickly. Or any old machinery. Like an old AC condenser. Or a car with a bad suspension or a timing issue. I dunno I'm grasping at straws here.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Boss, I have used that trick before with a great success ratio and actually its what I wanted to try on this reel but I havent found a way to take the rest of the Bridge parts from the spool, seems that I have no choice than have to bent the yoke to release the Bridge and be able to deal with just the pinion and spool and try that flat screwdriver trick, but meanwhile I will leave the reel for few days in a lubrican/rust remover   
The Baja Guy