Ten more clips on the topic, The Great Northwest

Started by gstours, March 10, 2024, 01:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Only shown here,  some clips of fun and finding food with my friend Ken.
Forum 91-100

-   7.3 min.    An age dated vid clip of some fun we had on the Maiko.   Kens big chair is noticed in the action to keep his fish on  the line.   As a type of bone cancer had eaten part one knee joint away he enjoyed being on the boat as much as myself butt sat in the chair eventually more even while jigging.
  Ken hooks a pretty nice fish and we deal with it using some tools we devised to make quicker work of the tasks.......  Yet tangles seem to follow me.   We always had a fun chat on the ride home.   Thanks for coming along.

7.3 min.   The Maiko still is a good fishing platform, Ken was only a phone call away,  generally available and willing as might be established here.   Some days are cloudy and some sunny,  some days the tides are so strong only a chartered boat would want to deal with it......   Here,s a clip of another morning we had sitting it out on the saltchuck.   Always fun,    glad to share.......

2 min.   Another day on the water with Ken,  our halibut season is quite long as the fish move in from the gulf of Alaska slowly and quite predictly.  Halibut seem to spawn in the summer months and then migrate back to the depths of the vast gulf of offshore waters.
  Here we get to go fishing and get away from the work at home that also is a seasonal doldrum.   We leave this place that has been kind to us before with an offering and a promice to return.   The clouds seem to say Good Bye.......

1.2 min.   A redo of an earlier clip of a good fish that we got on the Maiko.   Ken and I fished together quite a bit in the last years of his life.
  We get together and have fun with the work of fishing.   Ken tries to make a length anlalysis of the fish we had decided to release.    We had some fun every day.   Glad to grab the cam share.    Life is short,  fish often........

4.2 min.  Calm seas with warmer temp of the summer sometimes brings Black flies that can bite and be generally annoying.   Alaska  has a good reputation for its Mosquitoes,  and for good reason..   Here as I try to revisit this clip a few are apparent..   We are at a place that halibut like to feed and occupy butt in a narrow between several islands where the water flushes each direction every 6 hours
  We try to go here with the smallest tide height in the halibut sport season.   Can be good.  Can be terrible..     Just fishing.    Lets go.....Lets try it...Just once more.......

4 min.  No actual fishing shown going on here.  Just the net result of a fun day Ken and I had on the Maiko.   The fish are tied to the rails to keep them from sliding around should we encounter less than flat seas on the trip home.  Currently the Red bait cooler is grinning and the clouds are telling us its time to leave.   So until we can return again we pull anchor and putt home knowing we got more work to do.    Fun work.......

7.5 min.  We are anchored and bait fishing for halibuts,  We are glad to get to go fishing again.  We have folding chairs to use for the wait as sometimes the fish are fish and don't cooperate.  Kens crutches are kept by  the always handy harpoon shown here as he finds a reason for me to help with pooning his halibut.   Summer breezes make for some  top water disturbance,  and lessens the Black biting Flies.... We secure the fish, and have to think about homeward bound,  as we are tiring butt we got out bounty.  Ken was always a good helper,  Getting out of the boat was difficult and he walked  with crutches as his one leg could not support his weight.   Yet he would insist on driving his nice big truck home with me and his bounty.....   

9.4 min.
 We pull in an earlier caught hali we had on a line in the water to bleed out as several adult Sea Lions were blowing their exhales at a fairly close proximity.  Butt the fish were biting and we were anticipating a good fish as the tide was starting to favor our location.
 Here comes the problem,  Ken hooks a pretty good hali and the Lions are still hanging around surfacing at time quite close to the boat,  Using slingshots with glass marbles I try to keep them back a ways.  We get the hali secured and luck is with us.   The headmount cam makes the footage shakey,   butt its real,     We get Kens fish just fine..... Every day is different,   I wish we could do something like this again.........gst.

10.4 min.  Splashy hali is evidence again for  at least a flying gaff or hand held sharkhook on a rope is a best practice for midsize hali.   Here the Sealions are persitentence and would like an easy meal during the summertime.  A re-edited clip of before showing the need for a dedicated camera, snack server, coffee maker, bait cutter ,navigator, towel hander and slingshot type of person aboard.
  Other dutys  could be assigned as inquiries amount......

-  8.3 min..  Fishing for hali with Ken on the Maiko.
   another fun day is planned as we leave the comforts of home and persue what mariners do,  knowing we will have an adventure.   To some viewers its just another day, to us its knowing we are on borrowed time.   Ken hooks a pretty good fish and we are happy.  The current is running out as we are anchored and it will increase in velocity,  butt we team up and deal with it....  As we see the fish, Ken said,  ''it's a keeper'' so I go to get the harpoon,  Kens crutches are evident and casual.    We get the fish secured and in the moving around Ken falls down as his one leg has little strength  left nor mobility from the tumor repairs of the start of his ailment....  We try to shrug it off.   We had a nice ride home  and were happy to get this fish,   And maybe go again.....