2pc tuna rod: 2nd opinion on grip

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 12, 2024, 03:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I bought one of these blanks:
https://mudhole.com/products/crb-tuna-popping-rod-blanks
(For posterity, this is a clearance item on mudhole so the link will eventually die. It's a 7'-8" 2 piece 'tuna popping' blank that's split at about where the top of the grip will be)
I bought a 14" rear grip, I'll be using an amtac anodized reel seat (black n gold), a gold anodized gimbal butt, and I have my choice of an 8" or 10" foregrip to use.

The 8" grip tops out about a half inch shy of the top of the lower section. A 10" grip would go about 1.5" past it.

Aside from the risk of epoxy getting down in the hole, is there any reason the foregrip can't extend a tad past the bottom section? The top section nests inside the lower section.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

I would do a split grip with no spacing between them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

I am assuming that this is a plug type ferrule with the male end on the top section.

1.  The overhang  will make it harder to tighten/take the rod apart if it prevents grasping the top section near the ferrule. An inch overhang won't matter too much.

2.  The unsupported top part of the grip is more subject to tear. EVA foam is not so tough.  Twisting it when fighting a fish or taking the rod apart, and also just floating in space when the rod is disassembled.  The tip of the grip cannot be protected by a winding check, so more damage risk here as well.  If lots of rods were made this way, I would expect damaged overhangs to be  a common complaint.

3.  The blank is designed to have a safe zone for the fulcrum made with your top hand.  As an example, fly rods break all the time on big fish when the angler reaches up the blank to get some leverage.  You would be moving the fulcrum up to be closer/on top of the ferrule.  A smaller overhang does minimize the risk.

My vote would be a nope. Interesting idea, though.

-------

Regarding aluminum gimbal butt caps on a casting rod: These suck for fighting fish any time the gimbal is not in a fighting belt or under your armpit. There are hard foam covers that slide over the the caps, and are often included on factory builds.  But this just proves that that aluminum gimbals are a nuisance.  The covers get bumped off, they usually don't work in tube rod holders, etc.  They will end up in your tackle bag or lost somewhere, unavailable when you are busy fighting a fish.

Fuji and others make nice short firm-ish rubber butt caps with gimbal slots.  Works much better  for casting and jammed into your pelvis when you are not using a gimbal belt, but still works pretty well with a gimbal belt.  And a rubber cap makes more of the butt grip usable for casting than those silly 3-4" aluminum gimbal butt caps.

My (probably unpopular) opinion is that Al gimbal but caps should be restricted to rods that are not used for casting and where you are willing to wear and use a fighting belt 100% of the time.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Turns out my 10" option isnt an option after all. It's almost like it was a sign. So that solved itself. 

Re: butt caps. I agree the fuji rubber is a very comfy option. This is one of the rare times that my decision is 100% driven by how cool it'll look. I'll end up getting or making a foam cover since I don't own a fighting belt yet.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

I have epoxied caps on all but 1 of my gimble butt rods and do not build rods with them except bent butt rods.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 12, 2024, 06:43:12 PMRe: butt caps. This is one of the rare times that my decision is 100% driven by how cool it'll look. 

Same reason that they put them on production rods :) 

ReelFishingProblems

Definitely want to see pictures of this build. Could be a fun build