Large Saltwater Reel Identification

Started by Reeltyme, March 17, 2024, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

A friend of mine saw this reel at a flea market in St. Augustine Florida. The guy said he had bought it that morning from another dealer and it wasn't currently for sale. My buddy said it was at least a 12/0 size and maybe bigger. Can anyone identify the make? At this point, it's for curiosity sake. Sorry, it's the only picture I have.
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

Midway Tommy

That sure is an interesting drag setup. I would think it would be tell-tale.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reeltyme

I agree Tommy. That and the micarta sides covered with brass plates should be good indicators.

oc1

The liberal use of hex nuts would lead you to think it is a one-off from someone's shop.  The handle blade is put together with fasteners instead of being forged. There are tool marks on the spool arbor.

Swami805

Looks like something made in someone's shop, nice work though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

I've seen a hex fitting like the one on the spool cap on old pfleuger reels. That doesn't rule out a DIY though
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on March 18, 2024, 05:33:50 AMThe liberal use of hex nuts would lead you to think it is a one-off from someone's shop.  The handle blade is put together with fasteners instead of being forged. There are tool marks on the spool arbor.
Quote from: Swami805 on March 18, 2024, 12:18:58 PMLooks like something made in someone's shop, nice work though
My thoughts also ...   Wish it was my shop.. :cf
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Really cool. A post frame that looks pretty strong.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

Wishing I had better pictures. Really wishing I had it in my collection. As for age, I'm leaning towards the 30's.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Jerry on March 18, 2024, 11:46:35 AMThere is a site called oldreelcollectorsassociation.com  or .org ?
that has a lot of old guys might know about this one .
If not ok to post links mods please excuse and delete

Pretty sure Randy is well aware of ORCA.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reeltyme

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 18, 2024, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Jerry on March 18, 2024, 11:46:35 AMThere is a site called oldreelcollectorsassociation.com  or .org ?

👍🏻 Nuff said Tommy

1badf350

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 18, 2024, 05:13:46 PM

The man used his first post to provide a helpful recommendation to someone he doesn't know. I, for one, appreciate his offer
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Thanks Jerry! Welcome to the forum!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Reeltyme

You're absolutely correct Chris. Did not mean to offend Jerry. Yes, a big thank you Jerry and for sure a big welcome as well. The ORCA remark stems from a long ago inside joke. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

redsetta

Despite likely being a 'shop project', the drag adjuster (just behind the counterweight on the reel above) bears a striking resemblance to Jigging Master's recently added 'Turbo knob'.
Coincidence? I think not!   ;)  ;D

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer