Briggs & Stratton Plastic Carb Fix !

Started by jgp12000, March 21, 2024, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I bought a Toro Lawnmower last year to cut around the dock,I've used it maybe 10 times. This year the "Guaranteed to start" mower would not start.I found this youtube and fixed the mower,easy stuff. The jet just plugs in. My 1st dealings with a plastic body carb,I have never heard of them before? You have to find the proper jet for your engine number of course.This year I plan on draining the gas and letting the motor run until burns up all the remaining gas in the carb like I usually do  ::) . This mower doesn't have an oil drain plug  or a throttle lever,supposedly you just check the oil and add if needed.I plan on changing it once with synthetic then letting it roll.

https://youtu.be/-jcGEpklHwI?si=DVBkUC1vfTO7AkeQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THQN11S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

oldmanjoe

:)  Woman around the corner asked if I could get one of the two lawn mowers started .
  Both have this style carburetor .   I stabbed  the jets with a torch tip cleaner and compressed air  .   It does not take much for them to plug up, the bowels looked clean , no silt in the bottom .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I love my $120 used 4 stroke fuel injected Honda mower.

Never seen a damn bit of maintenance. Knock on wood the hardest time I ever had starting the thing was after 3 months of no use over winter, 4 pulls.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Yep,Joe I saved the old jet and will do that as well for back up.Jason them Honda motors are great my pressure washer has one cranks one pull most of the time,I do not like the auto choke on it though,prefer manual.For some reason my cub cadet ZTR with a kohler needs starter fluid to "wake up" fairly often. My tractor buddy turned me on to starter fluid as hand cleaner,prolly not good,but works  ;)

foakes

This mower doesn't have an oil drain plug  or a throttle lever, supposedly you just check the oil and add if needed.I plan on changing it once with synthetic then letting it roll.
————————————————————

Regardless of what anyone tells you, or even the owners manual —- the oils needs to be changed on a regular basis.

For me, that is once a year.

For most of the new gas-powered things we use such as lawnmowers, etc. —- you just pull off the spark plug wire, pull out the oil dipstick —- then tilt the unit on its side to catch the old oil in a drain pan.  Refill with new oil —- careful not to overfill.  Check oil level, reattach spark-plug wire —- done.

For the chainsaws, mowers, weed eaters, generators, pressure washer, generators, post hole augers, and outboards —- I always buy (2) of everything for maintenance (spark plugs, gas filters, oil filters, air cleaners, oil).  The parts each go into a clear ziplock bag that is clearly marked with a sharpie —- and these hang above the garden workbench on a pegboard hook.  When I use up something —- I replace it before needed to keep the spare maintenance parts supply ready.

The first oil change is critical (just like on a vehicle engine) —- and should be done after a few usages of the mower.

On new vehicles —- I have always recommended changing the oil the first time at 2000 miles —- then every 5000 miles after that.  Just proactive care and maintenance.  The manufacturer's do not tell you this.

This is because any tiny bits of metal coming from a new engine breaking in —- need to be drained, eliminated, and replaced with new oil.

Same thing I do with our vehicles.  Then I save the old oil in
2 gallon containers to start our burn piles with.  Which the wife is doing today.

Manufacturers are always trying to tout "maintenance free" stuff.  But most knowledgeable folks won't fall for that.

Good to run the gas out like you are doing.  But if you don't —- just add a little gas stabilizer to the gas tank prior to storage —- such as Seafoam, or similar.

I know all of this may sound corny —- but it has worked well for me over the decades.

Honda motors are a little more expensive —- but seem to really hold up well over years and years.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Yep Fred,they prolly making them throwaway like everything else so you buy a new one,I will change it like always :al

Keta

Are you using e-0 or adulterated gas, e-10 or worse e-15+?

No oil drain plug is BS!!!  I change oil in all of my small motors every spring and none have ever had crap e-10 in them.  I also use Stable in my "e-0 ONLY" marked gas cans and fill my jeep with them in the fall so I have fresh gas in the spring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jgp12000

I believe it had e-gas in it last year,I use to always use non-ethanol. The closest non-ethanol station pay at the pump was always down so I just used e-gas.Recently we had a new QT built even closer with 0e so I will go back to it.A little futher ride we have a Buc-ee's that Has 93 0E,I put that in my grandsons chinese 4-wheeler.