Some fun we had in Alaska part 10.

Started by gstours, March 23, 2024, 01:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here are a few more clips ive saved of the times Ken and I fished together to share with you.
 Forum  101-110.

101.  -   6.5 min.   We go out on a forecast that the wind was to diminish and it kind of worked out that way.   I had gotten an electric reel recently and was hoping to test it on some halibuts.  For some reason the fish were biting on my side of the boat so that's where the filming is.  As we scratched out a few fish a better one came along and it was fun.  Ken never liked the elect reel idea, butt was always ready to help and said it made it too easy.   We always had fun testing our hook, bait, color, theories and sometimes would use jigs to compare these to bait on some days when we had time to play.    Was it just luck?

102.  -
     1.5min.   A short clip of some crappy day halibut fishing we did a while back.  Ken had some company and my boat was on the mooring in a bay nearby.   So we went out knowing the weather was not that great,  butt we knew that.....    We scratched out some fish out of a couple of spots that seemed doable.   Overall we had some adventure and some success.
  So its been said you won,t know ifs you don,t go.......   Lets go.........

103.   -   4min.   King salmon trolling was something we didn,t do enough of........Here we troll the shoreline with a diver/planer and a plug or whole herring during the spring when we could for the feeder king salmon that wonder around the Alaska inside waters .   Ken dips the net under the fish and we were happy campers.   He was a very attentive person to have on any boat and loved to fish.   He made a very good smoked salmon and was a sharing kind of guy.  In his earlier life he had a fishwheel on a river farther north and knew how to filet a salmon or two,  and shared some advice with me.   
  The reel in the clip is a Shimano 400 mooching reel that was modified from a 4 to a 5 inch spool diameter ....  Its an early one of my works,   since then ive done the aluminum versions in 5, 5.5 and then a 6 inch spool for the cohos.    Your not done till your done.......dead.......

approx. 30 sec.   A very short clip of the net result of a morning of solo halibut fishing on the Maiko.   It was predicted to be less winds on this day, following with larger tides and increasing winds ..... I could not find anyone that could go so I did it alone.   Glad to share.   

-https://youtu.be/fp8KDzORAK8?si=iGEfAzILukwrci3z  1.2 min..   Here,s 2 short clips I captured and made into one clip of King Salmon trolling with Ken filming some great times we spent togather.....  Things happen fast and usually there is no time for filming the fighting of the fish as I,m not that organized.    Here is the rewards for our efforts.
   You win some n, you lose some........

6.4 min.    Another halibut Maiko adventure.   My friend Ken had company from out of state and we talked about going fishing.   As the calendar days were ticking by we were hoping for better weather to appear.  It was starting to improve butt we couldn't buy more time,  so we went and slopped out a few fish and had a fun fishing experience.   By moving from one spot to another we were trying to check for some biters and escape the waves that were conflicting with the wind direction and intensity that pushs the boat sideways so only one line could be deployed in the trough sidesaddle.   In the end , long story short we worked for these nice eating valuable fish.    Lucky ?   Yes..

9.3 min.   Back in time  aways yours truly had a project reel that was a bargain in price,  seemed to have sturdy guts, and the 2 speed gear ratio I was looking for.   After several mods and yard tests the reel needed testing again.   Ken usually would go on the Maiko on a agreed plan,   so here is a fun sunny day adventure we had.   A fish was hooked using bait on a bottom sitting rig we get to see it,  Ken harpoons it with a bit of a reach and hits the spine and the harpoon head is stuck there .   It works out and its shown here.   We get the fish just fine.  Another fun day with Ken on the Maiko.   

108.   -   30 seconds of an all day story ,  makes this short and sweet.....  We had a lot of fun through the years.   Its always a shorter, less tiring ride home when it happens.......... 

109     5 min .   Playing with the Beastmaster Shimano 12V,    Ken sneers but has to agree its an easy way to check bait when fishing heavy or and deep waters....
   The Rakuraku mode is an even more efficient way for these reels to help with fishing....The reel only runs to pick up slack line according to the drag settings you give it.   So its not running against the drag washers constantly.  This is a waay cool way to fight the fish.   Just pump the rod and it picks up the slack line immediately.   Ken was always a great helper as shown here, or at the boat ramp and at processing fish.    Sorry about the shakey head cam.     Butt.......

110.     7 min.   Ken hooks a halibut while anchored on a slope on the side of a trench.   I get plenty of time and rush the shot and the poon rips out.   Lukily the fish is hooked well as shown and we get another chance to bring it home.   It's a lively fish and was fun to talk about at the cleaning processing table.
  We had a fun day and it never seemed to end.   Until it did........

alantani

that last video was fun.  must have really ticked off that fish!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

I have to ask.  What do you do with all that fish?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!