113HLW/JVARIANCE SIDE COVERS

Started by BMITCH, March 15, 2012, 09:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Is it possible to update my 113HLW to the JARVIANCE side plates? The 113HLW I have has Newell SS gears in it. If I remember correctly, I had to grind away some of the side plate to get the gears to fit. The clicker is older style. This is not held on by an E- clip. Is this also able to be updated? Or should I just get a newer version of a 113H?

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Taily

JV Sideplates will fit any 113H, however you will need the hardware of the later designed type with the spacing sleeve and internal access drags for the handle side hardware to work. If you've got an earlier type external drag 113H its really no biggie to get the bits you need (sleeve and the dished belleville shaped drag washer, and the clicker bits) from Mo at Scott's Bait and Tackle.

I've had a couple of reels with the JV plates and have found them to be very good, including the quality of the anodising (standing-up to corrosion etc about the same as the Accuplates I have) and have a set on the go at the moment with a Newell 4:1 gearset in it. No mods were needed to get them to fit or work.

Regards,

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

BMITCH

What about the clicker? Is that upgradeable?(is that a word?)

BMITCH

Is JV still making side covers and conversions?

broschro

BMITCH

I saw them o eBay, but is that the only source? Do any other suppliers carry them?

broschro

Quote from: BMITCH on March 15, 2012, 01:38:43 PM
I saw them o eBay, but is that the only source? Do any other suppliers carry them?
HE IS THE SUPPLIER ,I HAVE TALKED TO HIM AND HE IS A RELL NICE GUY I LOVE THE PLATES

BMITCH

My only issue with the one on eBay,is that it's gold. I was looking for either a set of black or silver. I guess I should just drop him a note?

broschro

Quote from: BMITCH on March 15, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
My only issue with the one on eBay,is that it's gold. I was looking for either a set of black or silver. I guess I should just drop him a note?
He has black, but you have to buy the kit to make it Narrow.try dropping him a line and see if he would maybe sell just  those

BMITCH

Thanks,I already did. What's your thought about these side covers with the wide tiburon frame?

alantani

i like the frames.  not a big fan of the side plates.  all of my old penns had accurate or tiburon frames with the original side plates. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Here's their website:  http://jvariance.com/index.html

Alan, we should go over and visit one of these days.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Taily

Quote from: BMITCH on March 15, 2012, 10:26:37 AM

If you have a red (plastic) sided 113H series reel (you still haven't told us exactly which reel you have so that we can help you work out exactly which parts you'll need) you wont need to buy any extra parts.

There is around three variations/design changes in the USA made reel handle side sideplate throughout its life, before it went offshore to China:

• Maroon sideplates with external access drags,
  • Maroon sideplates with internal access drags, and
  • Red plastic sideplates with internal drags

I have no idea about the Chinese reels, sorry. I did actually answer your question in the first post.

Regards,

Dave.
Nunc est bibendum....

BMITCH

I believe that the one I have is the maroon internal drag model. I have upgraded the gears to Nemell 4:1 and had to grind out the side cover to fit them. The gear sleeve is from Alan, which is SS. The spool is the wide version from Penn and the frame is the Tib wide. The only thing missing is a SS bridge plate ( is this available?). I'm trying to get this with double dogs and just wondering if it's even worth the effort to upgrade to the JV side plates? I might have to do a lot of modification to the handle side to fit the second dog. What's your thoughts about this????

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on March 15, 2012, 10:26:37 AM
Yes the clicker is replaceable. You will need part # 36-113, 35-60 and 69-600. These parts will fit in all of the 113H's, Accurate and JVariance. On older plates you will need to file down the post to replace it and it's no big deal. If you're referring to the clicker spring, yes you could upgrade to a stainless steel one, but I believe the stock would be ok.
As for adding the second dog, go for it! You won't find a better reel in its class ;).
Also, the stock plates have been good to me, I do add the one piece frame from Tiburon, JVariance or accurate. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.