Repair a bent rotating head/spool cup on a Finessa.

Started by Steve V., March 25, 2024, 05:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V.

Hi all,

I have a Finessa that I just acquired that I would rate about a 8.5-9 out of 10. It was an ebay purchase. When I got the reel and was going through the initial check, I noticed that the spool was rubbing on the spool cup/rotating head ever so slightly. You can see the rub marks on the spool. The rotating head doesn't even look bent. I have received reels before that had slightly bent rotating heads on them. These were lesser reels though. Not the tank that a DQ is. In the past I used a camera lens vice to get the bend out. It works very well. For those that don't know, if you dent the filter threads on the end of a camera lens that is what you use to straighten (re-curve) it. I got the reel for what I consider a good price. Around here everything is either unobtanium or priced like it belongs in Ft Knox. How have y'all fixed this issue before? Large wooden dowel and slight hammer taps?

Thanks,

Steve

Midway Tommy

Depending on the ID of the rotor cup I've used the closest OD diameter 3/4" drive socket, put them in a vice and slowly put some pressure where needed to correct the out of roundness. A little heat from a hairdryer, not a torch, helps make the metal a little more pliable.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steve V.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 25, 2024, 06:38:01 PMDepending on the ID of the rotor cup I've used the closest OD diameter 3/4" drive socket, put them in a vice and slowly put some pressure where needed to correct the out of roundness. A little heat from a hairdryer, not a torch, helps make the metal a little more pliable.

Thanks. Upon even closer inspection (with magnifying specs and super good light) I'm not sure it's bent. I took the spool off of my 331 and put it on and it rotates without hitting. I double checked the spool from the Finessa and I can't see that it's bent either. I'm thinking about sanding a smidge off with some wet/dry sandpaper and then touching up the paint and seeing if that works. Or maybe, running the sandpaper inside the spool cup and see if it knocks any high point off of the paint. The rub is so slight you can't really feel it. I only noticed it when I flipped the lever for the anti-reverse and it got quiet except for that spot.

oldmanjoe

:)  Very interesting original spool rubs and another spool does not .  If you put the original spool back in and turn 90 degrees   , try the cycle , turn 90 degree again , cycle again  , see what the results are .   What is the difference in diameter of the two spools ? 

Can you post pictures ?     :fish  :fish
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Post some photos, Steve —-

Like where is the spool rubbing, etc.??

Before doing any surgery, it is good to figure out what the issue is.

Warped spool, bent rotor, bent spool shaft at outward extension, missing under spool spacers, etc.

Fixes might include some very simple things —- or some slightly more complicated. No hill for a mountain climber like you, though!

I have your 221 boxed and ready to ship tomorrow.

If you need something, just let me know so that I can open up your box and include it at N/C.

The other issue —- we need photos to determine which Finessa it is.  There are 4 models with each having a few variations over a 9 year production span.

It is easy for me to figure out what to send you —- but photos are needed.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Hi Fred,

I was thinking about those same issues this afternoon. I have another reel on the bench right now (Heddon 234 Convertible). I should have it done tomorrow. Then I will take some pictures and post them. I'm also going to take my micrometer to the spool and spool cup. Also the spool off of the 331. I'm not going to try any fixes until I let the more knowledgeable folks chime in, yourself and those that already replied included. These DQs really are built like tanks.

Thanks,

Steve

Donnyboat

you sure the spool is not touching on the rotor, may need a felt washer under the spool to raise is a little, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Steve V.

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 26, 2024, 02:12:40 PMyou sure the spool is not touching on the rotor, may need a felt washer under the spool to raise is a little, good luck cheers Don.

There is a washer under the brake spindle. The spool is actually rubbing when it gets to the top of it's rotation. Last night I took the spool from my 331 and my Finessa (285 on spool) and set them both on the kitchen counter. The 331 spool was dead flat on the counter. The Finessa spool rocked a little bit. I guess it's a bent spool. Everything else looks ok. When I mic'd everything it was so close in tolerance I don't think that's the issue. Ever heard of a bent spool? I don't blame the seller for not catching this. With the AR engaged most people would never notice. When I flipped the AR off and reeled it slowly, that's when I noticed. When it happens you can hear a slight rubbing and the spool seems to twitch backwards little. What say y'all? What site do y'all use to host images? I don't use photobucket after what they did.

Steve

Midway Tommy

Sounds like maybe it's twisted a little, not necessarily unusual. If it's metal it could have gotten bent, if plastic it might have heat warped, again not unusual.

Have you removed the spool insert, cleaned, burnished and lubed all of the spool parts.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steve V.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 26, 2024, 04:53:47 PMSounds like maybe it's twisted a little, not necessarily unusual. If it's metal it could have gotten bent, if plastic it might have heat warped, again not unusual.

Have you removed the spool insert, cleaned, burnished and lubed all of the spool parts.

I have not cleaned the spool and related parts yet.

foakes

For now, Steve, send me the photos & I'll post them for you.

I use our AT site photo system.  It is quick and easy.

I also agree that Photo Bucket got very weird and stupid when they tried to charge exorbitant rates for users of their service.  But when they came back down to reality —- I compromised and agreed to pay them $8 a month.  This was only because I wanted our members to be able to see photos I had posted in previous threads, over the last 11 years.

A Finessa spool is metal, although some plastic spools will also fit —- depending on the reel version.

When you send some photos to my private email (just click on my user name, and it will show you the email) —- but you already have this anyway —- I will be able to determine which reel you have —- and send you the appropriate metal Finessa spool in your package later today.  N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

There is only one washer that I can see on the bottom that was under the brake spindle unless the other is embedded on the actual spool.

Steve V.

Can y'all see the photos I posted. I was able to drag and drop them on replies only. I can see them in my replies.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!

I do like working on, cleaning, and trouble shooting reels.

foakes

OK, Steve —-

Metal 285 spool.

I will send you a complete spool —- with proper new drags and proper under spool washers.

Going out today.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Steve V.

Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2024, 05:13:25 PMOK, Steve —-

Metal 285 spool.

I will send you a complete spool —- with proper new drags and proper under spool washers.

Going out today.

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred!

From the pictures is it actually missing the metal washer?