Penn 720

Started by hrgriz, March 29, 2024, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrgriz

I purchased a disassembled Penn 720 on the auction site. Following the tutorial on here, I have it all serviced, and reassembled. I find that I am missing part #'s 46 (side plate screw), and 52 the drag knob. I have the knob, but it is cracked. The brass piece falls out of it. I went to Mystic's website, and both parts are no longer available. It is a nice reel, which I planned on fishing. Does anyone know of a source for parts? Thanks in advance!
            David

foakes

If you need a white drag knob —- I do not have one.

If you need black —- here is a new one.

Penn had trouble with the white plastic resin drag knobs breaking.  When they went with the black —- they are much stronger, and cured the issue.

If you have  the 720 with the white drag knob, and the white crank knob —- I have both in black if you want everything to match.

Here also is the new sideplate screw.

Someone else may have what you need. But this will work also.

Due to exactly the defect that you have found on your white drag knob — I mostly always switch my white knobs over to black.  And in many cases, just for cosmetic reasons, I also install gold spools and gold cranks — if they were the original silver.

It makes a nice combination.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

hrgriz

I am going to use it,so black will be great. Let me know the damages, so I can send the money to you. I like that guard cat 🙂 Thanks for the help Fred!
           David

jgp12000

I saw this awhile back, post #19 Cortez_Conversions has made some white drag knobs.

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,38153.msg450587.html#msg450587

foakes

Yes, Tom's would be the best bet for a new white knob.

Looked on the Cortez Website —- but couldn't find it.

Probably looking in the wrong section —- or it is not listed yet.

Tom's products are always the best —- and a cut above factory in performance, fit, materials, and finish.

Maybe Tom can help us on this.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

I only have a 722 and not a 720 to reference to see if any of my white knobs will be the right size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jgp12000

I believe the knobs fit either one 720/722,same p/n.