Interesting find on 265 microlite

Started by JeffG, March 31, 2024, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

Happy Easter all! While looking at one of my 6 soon to be 7 Microlites I noticed a name punch stamped into the side plate. I was just curious if this was something done at the factory or if a distributor did this upon request from a customer. It looks like it was done before the paint.

Thanks
Jeff

oldmanjoe

These pop up from time to time .  Looks like the customers name stamped into the plate .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

If you were a retail tackle dealer in the 60's —- and a steady seller of DAM Quick reels —- the DAM North American Distributor authorized their Sales Reps to gift the employees and/or owners a reel of their choice with their name engraved on it.

Nice touch —- and smart marketing!

I have a 265 that has "Skeeter Maxwell" engraved on it.

A Finessa 285 with "H & N Sporting Goods" engraved on the side.

And a Super 270 with "Gary Alcorn" —- who was a close friend, and a longtime local Sporting Goods owner engraved on the side.

Probably a few more in 500-600 loose DAM Quicks.

If you look real close, you can also find serial numbers on the earlier DQ's —- like the 265's.

Nice find!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Thanks Fred! I'm thinking I may have read this here before. Actually one of the 265's you sent me had the serial number stamped on it. I went through to check them after seeing this. That would be pretty neat to have your name stamped in it. I've seen a few scratched in or engraved with one of those cheap pen engravers.

Thanks
Jeff