Interesting find on 265 microlite

Started by JeffG, March 31, 2024, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

Happy Easter all! While looking at one of my 6 soon to be 7 Microlites I noticed a name punch stamped into the side plate. I was just curious if this was something done at the factory or if a distributor did this upon request from a customer. It looks like it was done before the paint.

Thanks
Jeff

oldmanjoe

These pop up from time to time .  Looks like the customers name stamped into the plate .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

If you were a retail tackle dealer in the 60's —- and a steady seller of DAM Quick reels —- the DAM North American Distributor authorized their Sales Reps to gift the employees and/or owners a reel of their choice with their name engraved on it.

Nice touch —- and smart marketing!

I have a 265 that has "Skeeter Maxwell" engraved on it.

A Finessa 285 with "H & N Sporting Goods" engraved on the side.

And a Super 270 with "Gary Alcorn" —- who was a close friend, and a longtime local Sporting Goods owner engraved on the side.

Probably a few more in 500-600 loose DAM Quicks.

If you look real close, you can also find serial numbers on the earlier DQ's —- like the 265's.

Nice find!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Thanks Fred! I'm thinking I may have read this here before. Actually one of the 265's you sent me had the serial number stamped on it. I went through to check them after seeing this. That would be pretty neat to have your name stamped in it. I've seen a few scratched in or engraved with one of those cheap pen engravers.

Thanks
Jeff