Main reel for 3-day trips out of San Diego

Started by ReelFishingProblems, April 01, 2024, 11:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hey all,

I've been watching Alan and everyone's trip reports going out of PV and SD. I have a few different non-2speed reels but would like to get something for repeated trips capable of handling 100+ BFT. Is an Okuma 30SEa good, or do I need a 50?

Keta

The MAC30Se will do the job, I usualy fish a International VISX 20 as my heavy rig even though I have 50s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

You can't go wrong with a Fathom 40NLD2. It will handle a 100# bluefin easily.  It can do a 150# but the wrong extremely mad fish will give you a workout.  Two years ago I caught two 150's using the 40NLD2 with 80# braid/mono.  The first was cooperative the other very uncooperative.

The 40 can be fished anywhere from 40#-80#. I would save the Makiras for 100#.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

The FTH40N is better for 60#.   They can handle more but it is pushing the envelope.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

Nice Photo Bill!

I normally take six reels.

But I'm deranged....

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

CooldadE

Quote from: Bill B on April 01, 2024, 11:31:36 PMYou can't go wrong with a Fathom 40NLD2. It will handle a 100# bluefin easily.  It can do a 150# but the wrong extremely mad fish will give you a workout.  Two years ago I caught two 150's using the 40NLD2 with 80# braid/mono.  The first was cooperative the other very uncooperative.

The 40 can be fished anywhere from 40#-80#. I would save the Makiras for 100#.   Bill

I concur ...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

ReelFishingProblems

It's hard not to want to go with Maks after all the praise from Alan on the drag curve. I do like the Fathom's but think of getting them in the lighter sizes. Getting close (months) from retiring from the army back to the PNW. Need to get serious on living and experiencing.

ReelFishingProblems

If I go with a Mak30, what blank does everyone recommend? UC Raptor? Hercules? And do I acid wrap or not?

I like building rods so I want to build my main tuna rod myself.

Thor built me an acid wrap rod that is a thing of beauty that will get a Tanacom 800

thorhammer

two speeds are for us ole folks. Take that 6/0 and lay the hickry onna BFT.

Swami805

I like seekers but I'm thinking a Hercules is not good for a rail rod. I think I'd go with an OSP 2x4 for fishing a mak 30 with 100lb. UC makes some fine blanks too as does calstar. If you can go pull on some and see what suits you best
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Depends on how you're going to use it? There are a lot of reels capable of landing 100# tuna depending on your budget. 

If you're talking big yft out of PV on the No Tuna No Chinga a Mak 30sea is probably the way to go. 

If you're thinking bft out of San Diego I think a Mak 16/20SEA will cover 90% of the fish you'll hook.

Keta

Not much help and others can give you better rod advice, the "heavy" rod I have been using lately is a early Seeker 2×4 with a 16 or 20 VISX (Alan fixed the drag cams) but there are many other good choices.  Spiral wrap is my preference.

I have 2 Seeker Hercules rods I use a lot but they are not what I use for plus size tuna.

Mark Twain

MarkT

A Mak 16 will catch just about any BFT out there and a 20 will handle the rest. No need for a 30 for BFT jigging. My goto for BFT jigging is an Avet HXW Raptor w/100# but have the Mak 15T (60#), Mak 16 (80#) and Mak 20 (100#) too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ReelFishingProblems

Thank you for all the knowledge. I'm thinking heavy setup will be the Mak20. I would really like To use my Cortez Conversions T4NI with full ProChallenger internals for YT. Any issues there?

Keta

Mark Twain