where (if) can I get a steel abu drive shaft for 5500 6500 abu?

Started by pointbob, April 03, 2024, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

where (if) can I get a steel abu drive gear shaft for 5500 6500 abu? noot sure if this upgrade avail..been looking and no luck...i tend to bend mine...twice now...want to try something beefier then brass.

Patience comes to those who wait

ExcessiveAngler

Not sure about the steel sleeve, I've never seen one. You can definitely can get the steel gears as I mentioned.
Didn't realize you were talking about the brass gear sleeve.
How the heck do you bend a brass gear sleeve?
Unless you encountered, what we are all scared of, and accidentally dropped it on the handle. And that normally just results in a bent sleeve post. Sounds like, you might be trying to take it past its limits. I've caught some pretty nice size saltwater fish on smaller Abu's without any problems, well besides line capacity.

Swami805

I was going to ask the same thing, how the heck did you bend a gear sleeve?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 03, 2024, 11:03:13 PMWorking on getting some made just for overkill sake
Definitely sounds awesome, but isn't the post it rides on the weak point itself?
Never stripped out the top of an Abu gear sleeve. I did bend a posts one time, while  trying to fight a huge something, or other(believe it was about 100 pound black drum )using the handle. Happened so fast, was that or lose the whole rig!
However, that was absolutely my fault!
Have dropped one before accidentally though, and the handle wouldn't turn at all lol.
Just had to get a new brake plate.

oc1

You must have put an oversize handle on the reel to get more leverage.

pointbob

Quote from: oc1 on April 04, 2024, 06:02:51 AMYou must have put an oversize handle on the reel to get more leverage.

Yes...and reading the comments here suggests that as long as i use my slightly larger handle (100mm vs 85mm stock)...then the post could be an issue...so....this may not be do-able....getting a stronger abu.

JasonGotaProblem

I have a sideplate where someone (probably Keith) pressed out the roller clutch and installed a ball bearing. It's not currently installed on a reel but I suspect that would see a lot less risk of damaging the post on that one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 04, 2024, 01:47:46 PMI have a sideplate where someone (probably Keith) pressed out the roller clutch and installed a ball bearing. It's not currently installed on a reel but I suspect that would see a lot less risk of damaging the post on that one.

oh that would be cool...

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 04, 2024, 01:47:46 PMI have a sideplate where someone (probably Keith) pressed out the roller clutch and installed a ball bearing. It's not currently installed on a reel but I suspect that would see a lot less risk of damaging the post on that one.
I was thinking about doing the same exact thing! A guy took an Abu over on SOL and put bearings everywhere, They would fit.
I think it may have been 11 bearings, but don't hold me to that. I'll see if I can find it, when I get the chance.

Brewcrafter

I suspect that the majority of damaged sleeves involve dropping (as noted) or mis-matched handles/having the handle nut over/undertightened. - john