Pacific Dawn 2-day prep and report

Started by pjstevko, April 03, 2024, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Thought I'd combine my trip prep and report into one thread....

Spent a little bit of time last night slowly starting to get my gear in order for the trip. I checked my inventory of night-time jig leaders and found 6-180# flouro and 7-300# mono leaders so I'm good to go there. Got some 170-450g jig in the quick access box which fits in the jig bag which will be loaded with snipers/zakanas, yo-yo jigs, a couple surface irons and some tuna ready swimbaits.

Over the next few nights I'll inventory my terminal tackle, inspect the rods and eyelets, and get my clothes packed with plenty of cold/rain weather gear.

Sunday I'll check the fishing reports to figure out how best to rig up everything. I'll put my flouro leaders on each reel, check and set the drags with a scale, put the coolers in the truck and mount the rod pod to the roof.

I'll depart Three Rivers between 7-8am and head to Bob Sands for whatever tackle I need/want :) Then it's a direct drive right to the Sea Harbor Inn to get checked in and unpack. I'll walk the docks and tackle shops and see what intel I can gather then maybe see if I can catch a bay/spotted bass or two before grabbing dinner somewhere.

Trip is slated to leave at 10am so I'll get up at 6am, move the car closer to the landing and then get in line early to try and get a good spot for my tackle bags.

Pics are of my quick access jig box and the black betty jer dog bomb (gonna remove the bottom treble as the captain prefers to fish these without bottom hooks)

Gfish

Cool!
Are them jigs the "Slow Pitch" or the "Vertical" type, or both. The black Betty j.d.b., howdaya fish that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

Quote from: Gfish on April 03, 2024, 08:17:30 PMCool!
Are them jigs the "Slow Pitch" or the "Vertical" type, or both. The black Betty j.d.b., howdaya fish that?

There's both style of jigs in the box and I'll chose which one to use depending on depth the fish are marking and how fast we're drifting.

The sinker jig gets fished like a jig, drop it down to depth real fast and move it up and down the strike zone with fast cranks and drops.....

pjstevko

So who's observant.... anyone notice anything different about this thread.....

rogan

Yup, I'm confused. I remember your plan was a three day on the Pacific Queen, but your post is titled 2-day on the Pacific Dawn. What happened?

pjstevko

Quote from: rogan on April 09, 2024, 01:59:50 AMYup, I'm confused. I remember your plan was a three day on the Pacific Queen, but your post is titled 2-day on the Pacific Dawn. What happened?

Ding ding ding....I pulled into the parking lot this afternoon and just after I get out of my car the landing calls and I'm thinking this can't be good.  " HI, is this Paul? Yes it is.  I'm afraid to tell you your 3 day trip on the PQ has been canceled due to some Coast Guard certification issues.  We can refund your $ or book you on a couple other boats... I'll be right in to talk with you guys,  thanks"

I had several options for other boats but the only that was a definite go was the Pacific Dawn with only 1 spot available so I took it.  The other options were the Pegasus or Tomahawk, I chose the Pacific Dawn because it was a definite go, small load of 18 and they were the ones that found the big fish before the last storm. 

The Tomahawk is now showing as definite go with only 10 reservations so a couple people must have signed up when they got the call about the PQ not going...

Well not what I was hoping for but at least I still get to go fishing and check out a new operation.

Bill B

Lemons to lemonade. Go get'em PJ.  If the skipper can find fish I know you're gonna catch'em. Sux the plan has changed but the fish don't care.   :d
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Had dinner at Miguel's last night, it was great but wasn't the same with out all of you guys there. I had a shrimp quesadilla and a virgin margarita. After dinner I heard back to the room to whittle down my gear to just my jig bag with a few extra goodies in the reel bag. I gotta say I'm gonna feel strange without my big #### tackle bag full of 2 years worth of gear not being on the boat!

pjstevko

The mornings at the docks are always beautiful!

sciaenops

Gud luk out there. At least weather lookin chill

pjstevko

Paired down my tackle to the jig bag only! I feel naked without 2 years worth of gear with me

Bill B

Why pare down your gear? Limited space on the boat?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B on April 09, 2024, 04:34:50 PMWhy pare down your gear? Limited space on the boat?  Bill

Didn't look like a lot of space for tackle on the deck. Plus it's a trail run to see if I can make it work. I always bring way too much crap

Jim Fujitani

Sorry I'm a little behind on this thread.

Good Luck!!

Swami805

Hope you have a great trip!!!  Nothing like the anticipation while waiting to board, getting to know your fellow passengers. Have fun and the fishing will take care of itself
Do what you can with that you have where you are