113H- everything SS

Started by BMITCH, March 16, 2012, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

my thinking is that you can take care of the corrosion issues on the inside with a light coat of grease.  i would look to change out brass part for stainless when strength is a concern.  now we are talking specifically about the drive train (draw a line from the handle grip to the spool) and the anti-reverse system (the dogs).   i would also like to see all exposed metal parts made of stainless, but that's a corrosion issue.  

so i would say that not everything needs to be stainless.   um, but you're right, it would be nice ......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Titanium is harder to work than SS and does not play well with other metals when exposed to saltwater.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Caranx

I didn't know it was incompatible with other metals. It's good to know that.
Does the water jets have a hard time cutting Ti?
I know Ti is very hard on bits. It's not cost effective in most applications.

Sorry about bringing up this subject, I should have made another thread instead.

Keta

The water cutter does not appearer to have problems cutting anything.  One of the jobs that is slowing down the SS dogs is 4" steel plate. 

Look up electrolysis and the Nobility Scale for more information on dissimilar metals.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Caranx

Quote from: Keta on March 19, 2012, 01:51:27 PM
Titanium is harder to work than SS and does not play well with other metals when exposed to saltwater.
Even when the parts  are coated with grease and is not submerged in salt water? Electrolysis will still occur?

Keta

Quote from: Caranx on March 19, 2012, 09:04:08 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 19, 2012, 01:51:27 PM
Even when the parts  are coated with grease and is not submerged in salt water? Electrolysis will still occur?

Not as much but I've seen large diameter SS pipe damaged by a titanium bolt laying on it in air.  The air had a heavy SO2 content and high moisture so there was a good chance sulphuric acid was involved.  The acid would replace saltwater as the "electrolyte".  

Mark Twain

Caranx

Thanks for all the info Keta.
I appreciate it.
I just love Ti... Rem 700 Ti action, Citizen Ti wrist watch, Ti dive knife etc. just to name a few. ;D

suitekids

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 16, 2012, 02:12:58 PM
Working on getting the ss bridge, I'm not sure about the jack.

I would buy 3 SS bridges in a heartbeat!!