Penn 350M Leveline Challenges

Started by Brewcrafter, April 04, 2024, 05:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Recently made some time to resurrect a fairly nice 350M Leveline, and it has evolved into something of a challenge.  My intention is to add it to my arsenal of freshwater trolling outfits for stocker trout and striped bass.  The fact that it is a unique design is part of it's appeal to me (and also probably a factor in the relatively short market life of these reels - they were a little "too different", and while I do not know for certain I suspect the design also resulted in higher manufacturing/assembly costs than other more traditional "worm drive" type levelwind reels).
Anyhow, upon disassembly found a small issue with the main gear:
Leveline Main Gear.jpg
No problem!  BUT: A quick trip to Mystic reveals that many parts for these reels are "Unobtanium", but there is a recommended replacement set that is "slightly" different and covers a number of reels.  By "slightly", the replacement set has 1 additional tooth on the main gear, and one less tooth on the pinion - the result being a slightly larger main and slightly smaller pinion diameters that retain overall the same Center to Center dimensions with a minimal change in retrieve ratio.  However, that is when the first challenge begins.  The unique eccentric gear is now meshing with the larger diameter main gear, when in truth the C to C distance has now increased by a few thousands (hopefully visible in the photo; you can see how the center of the gear is slightly off center from its anchor point:
Leveline Offset.jpg
When the pivot screw is installed into the side frame it is pretty tight, and the gears are definitely not "happy".
Options at This Point:
1 - Go back and install the original gear: Honestly, for the minimal use, the species targeted, and the drag capabilities of this reel, the likelyhood of a catastrophic gear failure is probably minimal.
2 - Run it in the new configuration, and hope that the relatively soft metals of the gears will "clearance themselves" in time (shudder, NO!)
3 - Drill out/polish out the center hole of the eccentric gear to gain the clearance to relieve the binding with the main gear.  In looking at it, it "might" work, and there are additional gears available at Mystic should I botch it...But I worry that introducing even a few thou of slop into that gear will affect the downstream interaction with the extremely fine toothed gear that engages the Leveline Bar, and that is a very finicky interaction with its own issues that I will detail at a later date...
4 - Hope that one of the Ohana have a 5-155 Main and 13-200 Pinion laying around (seems unlikely).
5 - Donor reel.  I see some absolutely disgusting ones on the Big Auction Site for cheap (until you start to factor in shipping) but I am not interested in any of the cosmetics.  Or maybe one of the Ohana have a junker to part with?

Anything else I'm overlooking? - john

oldmanjoe

Options at This Point:
1 - Go back and install the original gear: Honestly, for the minimal use, the species targeted, and the drag capabilities of this reel, the likely hood of a catastrophic gear failure is probably minimal.

Pm sent , possible candidate

https://picclick.com/?q=penn+leveline+350+reel
    there is gears and pinions here
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I've got a few 155 mains and 200 pinions I don't have any emotional attachment to. I didn't realize the 350 took 155 gears though I knew it shared the same drags

PM me I'll get you sorted.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter