Bralla sinker rig leader size?

Started by pjstevko, April 06, 2024, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

What # leader is best for sinker rigs? Is 60# an appropriate size for unknown size fish in sonar schools? Is it better to start with 80#?

Keta

Chafe leader?  If so 80# should be minimum unless you have to drop down to get bit.  At night go heavy, 150#-200#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

The reel will have 80# braid to a flouro leader.... can't decide which rod to keep setup as a sinker rig setup, my 60 or 80#?

Keta

If you can get bit with it fish the 80#.  I tend to fish 60# often but if larger fish are possable I use a VISX 16 for 60# for line capacity, my other 60# reels are a 40XN or HXJ Raptor.  My VISX 16 is spooled with 100# but changing out a L2L topshot is quick and easy.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Decided to rig up my Mak 16SEa with 100# flouro for the dropshot sinker rig

Brewcrafter

Good call.  Since by definition with a sinker you are looking to go drop down, once you get to a certain depth vision becomes irrelevant (however how well your bait can swim/function is ALWAYS relevant).  Many good discussions on the Saturday Zoom calls regarding light/color/vision underwater.  Also, another theory discussed (I will call this one "Go Big or Go Home) is to rig for the fish you want to catch; just because everyone else is hooking commercial size "footballs", you're going to regret it if the 150# submarine hanging out under the school grabs your sardine on 50# flouro leader....
I remember a couple of years ago on the local bluefin bite that was the overwhelming mantra of the captains - bring heavy gear, breakoffs are no fun...  Looking forward to a good report and seeing you sock it to them! - john