Senator 113 4/0 value

Started by sandbar, April 08, 2024, 07:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I have no experience with these reels. I need help determining the age and value, please.
 Being offered locally for $30.
I am a little worried if it is corroded under the braid and if it is, how much it will cost to fix or replace the spool.
Thank You.
-Steve

foakes

Crank handle is worth $30!.

It looks pretty clean from here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

I was just posting that the handle is worth,at least 30. I second what Fred says.

Todd
Todd

JasonGotaProblem

Posts and rings look good. Just the handle would be enough to make me consider it. I got a good used spool for you if it's bad.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

:)  I hope you are teasing us .   A little vinegar on a paper towel and rewind it .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 08, 2024, 08:18:51 PM:)  I hope you are teasing us .  A little vinegar on a paper towel and rewind it .
Not teasing you old man. I've gotten burned twice before when purchasing Penn SS spinners that had braid with hidden corrosion underneath. Those were gold anodized and couldn't be fixed. I've never tried using vinegar on any fishing reel. You may have just taught me something. Thank you if it works and you're your not just picking on me again. I'm going to buy it and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I may stop in Valrico and drop it off for repair  :d

oldmanjoe

;D  That there spool is not aluminium  !!  Worst case is some chrome may come off and have a brass streak in it .   IT looks like it will clean up well , does not have that deep down flake look .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

Quote from:  8)  on April 08, 2024, 09:04:01 PM;D  That there spool is not aluminium  !!  Worst case is some chrome may come off and have a brass  8) streak in it .   IT looks like it will clean up well , does not have that deep down flake look .

"That there spool"
Now you are speaking my language.

Donnyboat

Hi Sandbar, there is plenty on this forum about, restoring Senator reels, once you have restored one, it soon becomes second nature to do them all, just do some reading here  you will be okay to do it yourself, have a go, I `ve got my money on you man, with the vinegar  water mixed 50/50, I only soak it for 2 hour, then use a stiff brush to clean it up, then you can tell if it need more time in the solution, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Quote from: sandbar on April 08, 2024, 09:14:57 PM
Quote from:  8)  on April 08, 2024, 09:04:01 PM;D  That there spool is not aluminium  !!  Worst case is some chrome may come off and have a brass  8) streak in it .   IT looks like it will clean up well , does not have that deep down flake look .

"That there spool"
Now you are speaking my language.

I Knows it ,housabout you show us y`all progress on this here reel.   ;D

sandbar

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 08, 2024, 07:57:10 PMPosts and rings look good. Just the handle would be enough to make me consider it. I got a good used spool for you if it's bad.
Thank you Jason.

thorhammer

What They said, handle 30 all day. White vinegar soak is THE ticket on green crud.

John

Bill B

Just make sure you de-grease the spool first with Dawn dish soap, etc then soak in vinegar if you find the green crud under the line.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

What others have said.

BTW, do you still have those Penn SS reels with the corroded spools?  What models?  I may have replacement spools for you.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jigmaster501

take that reel, get a yellowtail special frame (Newell) on ebay and a stainless penn 66 spool. You will have a beast reel. just put in a 5 stack squidder drag.

Total power