Needle nose pliers recommendation?

Started by reelynew, April 09, 2024, 11:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand of strong, quality needle nose pliers, that have decent grip and precision when closing. 

I've looked at both knipex and wiha and appreciate their quality and precision but, saw some reviews that even their needle nose pliers can get torqued out of alignment when applying a lot of force.  I'm curious if others have noticed this and if so, what's a decent middle-ground, which might not break the bank?

Thanks for your input,

Matt

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

MarkT

If you're applying a lot of force, needle nose pliers aren't what you should be using!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

reelynew

Yes, I completely agree with you and had thought about adding that into my question.  Sometimes I end-up having to use needle nose types of pliers because I cannot get a lineman type plier into that area. 

jtwill98

Not all needle nose pliers are built the same or for the same task.

I have some where the nose is 2" standard, 4" needle, 6" duckbill needle-nose pliers that I received from my father-in-law. The 6" is stronger than the 4" but also constructed differently and is not good for really tight spaces. These are all mechanics/machinist tools , mostly snap-on, used by father-in-law as a John Deere mechanic in Iowa.

I also have electrical needle nose pliers from the 80s made by Klein Tools that are really strong for twisting copper wires and I have several vintage variety made by Proto Tools from Jamestown NY when they had their foundries there in the 60s and 70s, mainly because I lived there. 

You mentioned Knipex and I don't think you can go wrong there. They make excellent pliers. Your best bet is to put them in your hand and be you own judge as to the fit, length and strength you need for the job.

For the large salt-water fish, I think an extended reach long-nose wide-duckbill plier would be a great buy.   

foakes

Difficult question, Matt —-

I only use quality tools that will last a lifetime.

Learned my lesson in my younger years.

Brands I recommend would include Knipex, Snap-On, Irwin, Crescent, Gearwrench, Proto, and maybe a couple of others.

But one size does not fit all. 

Remember, you will never regret buying top quality, proven tools.

They are generally the cheapest —- since you only have to buy them once.

Just like a surgeon —- I have 2 sets of plier-type tool organizers readily at hand.  The junk ones, or lesser quality, I have tossed, donated, or given away.  These I use primarily for reel work.

There are dozens of others in the outer shops, trailer, camper, truck, mobile tool boxes, go-bag kits, and above workbenches.

One of my favorites and most used is a little 5" Snap-On pair with superior gripping jaws.  I guess if I could have just one pair —- this would do 90% of the jobs.

Another handy thing for mechanical work that is out in the Snap-On Taco Roll Box —- is a complete set of Irwin Vise-Grips.  Bought these new on eBay for $50.  When you need them,
nothing else will do.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

I have a trojan, pointy nose plier, it has a side cutter in it, that works really well, with a nice grip near the point, the only think that could be inproved on is maybe the handle could be a little longer, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Hytekrednek

Swanstrom or Tronex are my favorites for quality precision pliers. I have many others, but those seem to be the best made these days. Snap-on's current precision pliers are a disappointment. Tsunoda from japan makes some very nice pliers at lower cost.

Crab Pot

Matt,

I don't know if your asking for pilers for the bench/home use or on your belt on a fishing trip.

I have yet to find a pair of pilers made of aluminum for long range trips, that I wear on my hip, that I am happy with.

I always buy a cheap set of long needle nose pilers made of steel prior to each trip. I normally end up giving them away to the big fish winner at the end of the trip because they start rusting before I get home.

I keep my good tools, crimpers and split ring, in the box till needed.

I will tell you aluminum pilers will always flex out of shape at the worse time...

I know that didn't help.

What I'm getting at is don't spend crazy money on something you'll only use occasionally (and steel is better).

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

oc1

needle nose vice-grip for the bench

PacRat

Since you mentioned 'lineman's pliers', try these from Lowes. They are the Kobalt house brand and are only about $10 and carry a lifetime warranty. They have the high-leverage off-set pivot, just like lineman's pliers. I use these at work and on the water, and haven't ruined a pair yet. I always oil them real good before first use, then re-oil whenever they get wet.

Brewcrafter

Those Kobalt's look like a bargain.  FWIW I notice that most of the deckhands I see are using semi rusty carbon steel diagonals and oiling them regularly/daily.  I suspect that having a good, hard, durable edge is more important than corrosion resistance.  I had a pricy pair of SS from The Bicycle Company that after one trip, had I kept them, I could have used the closed blades as pinhole projectors during the eclipse. My current pair of old carbon I like because of the blunt, rounded nose. - john

foakes

Another great find, thanks to one of our good members from Alaska —- Gary.

Gary recommended these slip joint forged steel diagonal cutters.  They are excellent.

Gearwrench.

But I opted to get a set that also included a 8" pair of needle nose slip joint forged steel pliers.

Just because it was a good value.

Over the last 6 months, I have used the needle nose about 5 times for automotive, electrical, or home work.

Requires 40% less hand force for a 60% stronger cutting force.

These are impressive tools at a bargain price.

No slop, no looseness, ability to cut 10 & 8 gauge Romex wire lengths in one quick and clean cut.  And twisting wire together before screwing on a wire nut —- then using the pliers to do a final tight on the nut before closing up the box —- is a breeze.

No slop jaw alignment clear out to the tip.

Tough tools.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Those slip-joint pliers of Fred's have the high-leverage pivot. You can't see it in the ad photo above but you can see it in his bench photo further up in this thread. You can see a little oil seeping out. This is a very desirable feature and will double or even triple the force at the pinchy end.

reelynew

Thank you everyone who has responded.  I have been looking up all of the various suggestions that folks have been making and have learned a great deal on pliers. 

I found the Gearwrench set too on Amazon and for the extra $12 is well worth adding the diagonal cutters.  These seem to be best suited for what I had envisioned with higher leverage auto and shop work.  The Swanstrom Plizers look very interesting for for finer, smaller work. 

Fred - what is the name or what type of wrench is this with the arrow pointing towards it?  Is that for removing screws? 

Thank you again everyone. 

Matt

boon

Quote from: reelynew on April 10, 2024, 08:21:50 PMFred - what is the name or what type of wrench is this with the arrow pointing towards it?  Is that for removing screws? 

They look to be "screw removal pliers" - they have a rounded opening in the front of the jaws with grooves running parallel to the jaw. They are very very good at removing hex-head cap screws if the hex has stripped out, as long as you can get at the head.