Penn Spinfisher 710 black value?

Started by ExcessiveAngler, April 10, 2024, 12:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcessiveAngler

I was curious if anybody in the Ohana, could give me a fair market value on a pretty nice looking Penn Spinfisher 710 black. Has the original white handle knob and white drag knob, with what I guess you call them detents?
Makes it feel like the drag knob is clicking when you adjust it, actually pretty neat.
None of The plastics are cracked and has the original black paint, which is slightly pitted in some areas. It also has a black plastic spool as well. Looks like it may have been mounted on a rod, but if it was used, you wouldn't know it, by looking at it.
Honestly, looks like it spent a lot of its life stored in a bin with other reels.

As always, many thanks in advance for any information you may have.

jgp12000

I have noticed the detents on some of my 712 drag knobs it may be  the top spool washer that makes it feel that way? Some 710s are repaints but if it has a silver medallion and a black spool it sounds official...I discovered Mystic sells an aluminum Spool for the 710 for $50.I am no expert,but based on my 712 purchases I would guess a nice Authentic 710 would be worth $60-$70 w/o a box? I got a mint 712 no box for $45 including shipping,which was the most I ever paid for a 712?

ExcessiveAngler

Hey, what's happening buddy?
Thanks for taking a poke at this.
Yes, there is a brass washer in the top of the spool, with raised nubs that land underneath the drag knob. Never really noticed this on any other older Penns. It also has what looks to be a silver medallion.
Wasn't really about authenticity, just more curious about a ballpark value on one.
Saw a comment somewhere, somebody was saying they saw one new in the box a few years ago sell for $400 lol. I could maybe see a collector, possibly paying something like that, but it would have to be pristine, with all the paperwork and the box, of course.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, maybe $60-$100, for a nice good clean functioning one. 

foakes

I sold one last year that was nearly new, for $250.

Fair condition box (not perfect), papers, tool, grease, dimpled black paint, silver medallion, black spool, white knobs.

It was in good condition & used —- but I installed about 20 new parts and did a full breakdown, cleaning, and service.

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

And then Fred comes through, to let you know the grass could be greener, on the other side!
How you been buddy?
Thanks for the info, I was just getting ready to look on eBay, there's always a mishmash of prices from the sellers there.
Getting ready to go check on the sold listings and see what's possibly been sold there.

foakes

I sold it to a good member —-

Here is the reel.

If it is the dimpled black paint with the silver medallion —- there were supposedly only a few hundred manufactured.

I could have likely gotten $400 on the Auction site.

It was in really good condition —- box was better than my memory.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Boy, that's a pretty one there Fred. Woah, that one, is really super clean. It's definitely not as clean as that one, no way.
But it is all original, and doesn't seem to look like a repaint. Here is the 710 in question.

foakes

Since yours does not have the dimpled black paint (it is the smooth paint model) —- it is worth about the same, or a little more than a 710 greenie.

Yours appears to be a nice condition reel.  But it won't pay off the mortgage or put the kids through college.

Nice reel though.  Even though the spools are plastic.  They are very tough.  And I have yet to see one broken.  A few line-gouged if using braid or Spiderwire —- but never broken.

The 710's are an excellent all round reel.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Yep, thank you, and appreciate your knowledge as always Fred. I can't believe how crisp, the bail is on this though. If it was used, it was a loooong time ago. It's a very dry reel. I'm willing to bet, it's the original grease in there too lol.

Thanks again

jgp12000

Fred that reel was a gem !!! EA yours Looks like a keeper too!

ExcessiveAngler

Definitely gonna have to agree with you there James. Think I like the look of the textured reel better honestly, after looking at Fred's lol. Fred reels always set the bar, very very high though. Honestly, not really sure what I'm doing with mine yet? I know there wasn't a lot of the black ones produced, after doing a little more research. I'm also really not a collector either, well, not for display purposes anyway lol. I do seem to accumulate a lot of odd things though lol.

Maxed Out

It's been estimated that fewer than 100 black 710's are known to exist....and less than a dozen black 711. The smooth painted black 710 is the hardest to find. The silver medallion is proof positive that it is the real mcCoy, and not a repaint from green. I'd value the one you pictured at $150 minimum in the collector market. Find the correct box and the price goes up. It's definitely a great find, and the one you pictured looks to be in great original condition !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ExcessiveAngler

Thank you for your knowledge and info Sir.
Kinda thought it was unique when I first saw it, that's why I grabbed it Ted. But I honestly never thought for a second, that it had any sort of collector value? Always Thought reels had to be in pristine condition for that. But I also know, in the collector world, that sometimes, just the fact that a certain rare item even exist, in any condition, can be monumental.
I happen to follow American pickers closely!
I was just going to service and use it, then my buddies dad saw it, and said he had only seen one in his life time. So, that's why I came and asked here, knew I would get some good information. It's sitting bubble wrapped resting in a box now, for the time being.
I don't collect reels, well to display anyway, do have a bad habit of having too many of them though, sometimes lol. What do you call them, impulse buys lol?
I guess, you could call it, excessive, impulsive disorder lol.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 15, 2024, 04:24:55 AMIt's been estimated that fewer than 100 black 710's are known to exist....and less than a dozen black 711. The smooth painted black 710 is the hardest to find. The silver medallion is proof positive that it is the real mcCoy, and not a repaint from green. I'd value the one you pictured at $150 minimum in the collector market. Find the correct box and the price goes up. It's definitely a great find, and the one you pictured looks to be in great original condition !!

Thanks to Ted I have both an excellent black 710 and 711 in the correct boxes, and with their correct paperwork & amenities. Decent correct boxes & paperwork for "blackies" is a tough find.  ;) He also provided me with a beautiful 705 and a round knob big Penn power handle!  :D

Thanks again, Ted!   8)   :al
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I stated this on an old post but there is an old flipper episode in which Sandy thinks his girlfriend is playing the field. In the dumps, he goes fishing alone with his blackie 710. As always a happy ending ,it was all in his head ::)