Rod for a Penn no9

Started by Kolbein, April 12, 2024, 07:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbein

Hi.
Might be a really noob question, but here goes.

I have a Penn No9, that I would like to use for light flatfishing ( I guess fluke-fishing is what you guys would call it)

I'm thinking landbased, throwdistance 30-50 meters (max)

up to 50-60 grams sinker, couple of hooks etc

What kind of rod would you recomend? ( and what braid)

Best
Kolbein
Norwegian Noob

ReelFishingProblems

Honestly, Penn 9 on a Bass Pro Shops graphite series 7' medium heavy works really well for me.

Gfish

I call 'em "Flounder". Some say Fluke, some say Flatfish. Flounder for me cause there are both right-eyed and left-eyed species. I think they're separated by different family names.
30# braid for me, cause I never know when I might have to go heavier for something bigger, or start trolling.
Rods, I don't know enough about. Do yo like "vintage" tackle? Modern stuff? Or either?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Kolbein

Thanks guys 🙂

@gfish, i like either  :)
Norwegian Noob

UKChris1

I suggest you don't over-think it. For relatively uncomplicated fishing like that any rod that will lob that size lead would do ok, whether new and posh or cheap and cheerful. In the UK I'd look for a bass rod, a pike rod, a spinning rod etc. lots of choices depending on the length you favour.

Cuttyhunker

The 9 has 2 different foot configurations a foot that raises the reel a little higher in the seat for the trigger finger lowered seat fresh water bass style rods or a flat foot for conventional straight seat boat rods. A real woke bi-fishable reel. ::)   
Doomed from childhood

Kolbein

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 13, 2024, 01:52:45 PMThe 9 has 2 different foot configurations a foot that raises the reel a little higher in the seat for the trigger finger lowered seat fresh water bass style rods or a flat foot for conventional straight seat boat rods. A real woke bi-fishable reel. ::)   

;D  ;D
I'll find out what kind i have when I get home 🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob

Kolbein

Quote from: UKChris1 on April 13, 2024, 09:38:15 AMI suggest you don't over-think it. For relatively uncomplicated fishing like that any rod that will lob that size lead would do ok, whether new and posh or cheap and cheerful. In the UK I'd look for a bass rod, a pike rod, a spinning rod etc. lots of choices depending on the length you favour.

Thanks, 🙂
Norwegian Noob

jgp12000

I have one of my 9s on a 1-pc white 7' Ugly Stik(Catfish) from walmart,MH Rated up to 3oz lure.Its pretty stout  & limber enough to cast nicely,it would be great on the flats,good price too. I also have my Ambassadeur 6500 C3 on the Striper version US .My flatfishing experience is limited  near Gulf of Mex, we caught Reds and Speckled trout primarily & small sharks these rods could handle all of that and more.

kjdunne

The  Penn Peerless 9 is one of my favorites for fluke fishing.
I have one on an Ugly Stick Intercoastal model ICCA701M, 7'0" Medium, 1 piece.  Trigger style seat, cork grips. It is a WalMart rod, under $50.
I don't do much casting with it, primarily a boating "drop and drift" type fishing with a hi-lo rig, up to 3 oz sinkers depending on wind and current.

I'm on the "Fluke / Flounder" name line.  North of me (central NJ) into New England, summer flounder (with the left side up) are called Fluke, south of me they call them Flounder.  Same fish...

Kal

Kolbein

Thanks guys. Ill keep an eye out here in norway for those rods(or similar). Or maybe just order one from bass pro or ebay.

🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob

Kolbein

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 13, 2024, 01:52:45 PMThe 9 has 2 different foot configurations a foot that raises the reel a little higher in the seat for the trigger finger lowered seat fresh water bass style rods or a flat foot for conventional straight seat boat rods. A real woke bi-fishable reel. ::) 

These are the two i have..
Norwegian Noob

Ron Jones

I gotta tell you, pitching 4 oz of weight and bait 60 yards with a 7 foot rod with a Level Wind Penn 9 means you are a better caster than me. That reel better have been bathed in TSI, and I would be happy with a couple extra feet on the rod.
I agree that a basic graphite rod would be fine. I really like the Okuma Celilo line, and the CE-C-902MHB is rated for 4oz and is a 9ft 2 piece rod. I have thrown 4 oz 50 meters with that rod, but not with a Penn 9. This rig would work great for all kinds of bank fishing where you might find baby halibut.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ReelFishingProblems

Ron you are absolutely correct. I am less worried about distance. I overlooked his question and just went with the fact that I like the 9 paired with the 7' BPS rod. It's a natural fit for me and what I use it for (not max distance).

oc1

Casting a heavy weight (anything over about an ounce or two) puts a lot of stress on the levelwind.  The levelwind is always the first thing to go on a No.9.  How often are you given a spare part built into the side plate?  It is not just the pawl that wares but also the carriage.  Still, my all-time favorite pier and bank reel. 

Don't over tighten the spool.