April 15 THE TAX MAN COMETH!!!!!

Started by El Pescador, April 15, 2024, 02:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Today is the day kids, April 15 and for us here in the Great US of A, it is TAX DAY.

So p$y UP, have your envelope postmarked by Midnight today - April 15...

OR...  The IRS will take BIG BITES out of your bank account.  BIG BITES!!!!

If you are retired or living on an income lower than most of the rest, then the IRS take smaller bites BUTT it still hurts!!!!

For the Mrs. and me, today is always a PAINFUL day.

PAY UP, it is your constitutional right!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

alantani

finished last night.  it was nightmarish.  looks like my spending will curtailed for a bit. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Got it oudda the way several weeks ago. Had to wait for delayed W-2 forms. Already got a small refund from the State, need to check my account for a bigger Fed. return.

I find it both irritating and interesting like a puzzle. Most of the irritating part is me having to over-pay on purpose so I can avoid "estimated income" payments 4 times/year. Also, the fact that they will penalize me if I don't and I've underpaid for the year. Now that you got me going, it's irritating that I don't collect interest on the extra $ I overpay them.
Cool pictures Wayne.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

To painful to think about anymore.  :'( 

Midway Tommy

My old accountant, when I biatched about paying taxes, explained clearly to me that you don't have to pay any taxes if you don't make any money ;) . I quickly took on a different outlook on income taxes. One thing I have always been a stickler about is to always manage my tax withholdings so that I never get a refund and almost always owe a little something. I refuse to let the Gov have any of my money for nothing.  >:D  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

:)  Filed back in February, already spending my refund .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Got my returns in @ 2 wks. ago.  I still do paper & had to wait over 6 wks. for the IRS to send me the forms.  I have few special situations that don't allow me to use the so-called free software.  It is a hassle because the forms are so confusing, but I've had experience, so it is more of a slog rather than not knowing what to do. All of you out there who will get Social Security and think that will simplify things or eliminate your tax are in for surprise.  I don't begrudge having to pay my share for public services in this, the greatest of countries, but it sure would be nice if things were made more simple. People naturally rebel when they are "asked" to pay $$ thru a process they don't understand; making things more simple would improve the relationship taxpayers have w/ their gov't.

Frank

Dominick

I paid a few thousand dollars in taxes.  I really wish I owed them millions instead of thousands.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mikeysm

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 15, 2024, 03:48:10 PMMy old accountant, when I biatched about paying taxes, explained clearly to me that you don't have to pay any taxes if you don't make any money ;) . I quickly took on a different outlook on income taxes. One thing I have always been a stickler about is to always manage my tax withholdings so that I never get a refund and almost always owe a little something. I refuse to let the Gov have any of my money for nothing.  >:D  ;D

Do you know if you have to pay in money they figure in the interest on that money. So you end up paying more in taxes that you would have if you owe nothing at the end of the year. They get you no matter what.

Gfish

I heard that in Japan, they figure it for you, then send a postcard to taxpayers. If you agree with "their" figures, ok. If not then you through some kinda process(no details here)to settle the account. Seems too simple..., but if that's right, I'm guessing they don't have a private Tax accounting industry as big as ours.

Good points Frank. I got some Social Security payments last year, as well as my job income and that was one of the irritations; a complicated work sheet to pay some tax on my Social Security income(a relatively small percentage).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crab Pot

Owed the Fed and actually got money from the State this year.

When it was all said and done we broke even.

Then my wife reminded me we had to pay our accountant, who's a friend, $250.

So I'm $250 in the hole, could have been worse. It was last year.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Dominick on April 15, 2024, 08:32:13 PMI paid a few thousand dollars in taxes.  I really wish I owed them millions instead of thousands.  Dominick

Easy there Italian Gladiator , If you changed owed to paid , then you still shine in my eyes . :ct
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mikeysm on April 15, 2024, 09:50:04 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 15, 2024, 03:48:10 PMMy old accountant, when I biatched about paying taxes, explained clearly to me that you don't have to pay any taxes if you don't make any money ;) . I quickly took on a different outlook on income taxes. One thing I have always been a stickler about is to always manage my tax withholdings so that I never get a refund and almost always owe a little something. I refuse to let the Gov have any of my money for nothing.  >:D  ;D

Do you know if you have to pay in money they figure in the interest on that money. So you end up paying more in taxes that you would have if you owe nothing at the end of the year. They get you no matter what.

That's not true. If you owe less than $1000 and pay 90% of your estimated quarterly tax there is no penalty or interest charge.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mikeysm

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 16, 2024, 05:29:16 AM
Quote from: mikeysm on April 15, 2024, 09:50:04 PM

That's not true. If you owe less than $1000 and pay 90% of your estimated quarterly tax there is no penalty or interest charge.

Its easy to go over a thousand dollars owed this year. Everyone is trying to live beyond their means.

Keta

We try to make sure they deduct more than needed so we do not get hit with owing more.  My wife's busness has been "non profit" for several years and that helps too.  She needs to retire and spend more time driving me insane or try to get more kids in her preschool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain