Suggestions 'Lower Priced' Penn Saltwater Spinning Reels

Started by CoastieFlo, March 17, 2012, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastieFlo

I currently use Quick 330s for my 'throw around' jetty and surf reels, I know they are clunky and pretty slow but they were given to me........but last time I was out on the jetty a guy had an older Penn spinning reel that looked pretty good and stout.  I dont know anything about the models/numbers of Penn reels, can someone tell me what some good ones would be to look for?  Something I can fix up if need be and will handle some salt exposure.  Id prefer one that is metal bodied (not graphite or whatever they use on some reels).  It would mainly be used for jetty fishing with bait, or tossing 1-2 oz jigs for rockfish or ling cod....also could possibly be used for pitching plugs for stripers if I ever do that.   Would prefer to be around $50 or less.  Is there anything like that or should I just keep using my Quicks?  Thank you.

Keta

I don't think you can find the reel you are looking for at around $50.  Jakeydog on Ifish or Steve Carson on this board would be good people to ask.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Shop around on e-bay, craigslist or marine flea markets for an older 7500ss. Sometimes you can find one on the cheap. Great all around no nonsense all metal reel. Made proudly in the USA.  ;) ;)

alantani

at my local shop, they have a daiwa sweepfire spinning reel for $19.95.  whenever someone brings me a spinning reel to service, i always recommend that they buy one of these instead of having me fix their old reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2012, 08:17:04 PM
at my local shop, they have a daiwa sweepfire spinning reel for $19.95.  whenever someone brings me a spinning reel to service, i always recommend that they buy one of these instead of having me fix their old reel. 

There's your answer CoastieFlo. ;D 
Whatever you buy s/hand will probably need spending money on.
A new Daiwa for less than $20 and with a guarantee is worth considering.

Alto Mare

Any $50 new reel is going to feel great the first day out, BUT, by the end of the day that reel is ready for the scrap pile. CoastieFlo, do yourself a favor and get a used Penn SS on Ebay, as Conchydong recommended. Those reels are very easy to service and they will last you a lifetime.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

A Penn Battle is kind of close to your $50 wish. I've seen new 4000's on ebay for $79. Seem to have a good following
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

CoastieFlo

Thanks to you all.......I tried to bid on several nice Penn reels but alas, they always ended up for 70-80 bucks or more.

This week one of the local chain stores has 20% off all Okuma Rods and Reels, and their Safina Pro (aka el cheapo) reels are $19.95.....might have to buy 2 of em and call it good..

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 22, 2012, 06:35:57 AM
If you didn't find one yet, maybe this would help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-650-SS-High-Speed-4-8-1-Skirted-Spool-Spinning-Reel-Free-Shipping-/190656689108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c640633d4

You won't find a better reel for the money.

$65, bargain at that price,wish they were that cheap over here.
Saw a new 9500SS on Ebay last week "buy it now" @$520.

Russ57

No idea how cheap they can be had other than I gave mine away.  I'd look for the old green 700 series made in the 60's-70's.  They were replaces by the 700Z series which use many of the same parts.  Those green ones are impossible to kill.

The SS series mentioned are nicer but more prone to corrosion problems and harder to work on.  Older Quicks were very well made German reels.

Alto Mare

I do like the simplicity of the older Greenies and Z's, but I believe that the SS model is a better all around reel. I'll take a skirted spool over the open face spool any day. The skirted spool helps with line tangles and corrosion, it also has more speed. As for the greenies being easier to work on, have you ever replaced the bail? I believe that there are a couple of guys here that can probably take the SS model apart and put it back together in the dark , that's how easy they are  ;).