anti reverse bearing?

Started by arrowhawk, March 17, 2012, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arrowhawk

What can you tell me about this bearing.
Is it better than having a anti reverse dog?
Do they wear out?
How can you tell when they are ready to wear out, does it slip, grind or just stop working?
How do you care for the bearing, grease, oil, dry?
Thanks,

Nessie Hunter

Clean with light oil.....

The Rollers (Rods) need to move to work.   More then just roll on the shaft, they have to move close/against to stop the shaft, then away to allow the shaft to turn freely..
Some have light springs, some just a ramped like room to move...

Grease will keep them from moving freely, so CLEAN & Light oil to protect...

They do wear out & are prone to rust/corrosion/deposits.   
Water easily gets under handle...

Dog back up is great, but not as smooth or Instant....
Some reels have only Dog anti reveres and you can turn handle back slightly with them till the dog grabs......

When worn or non-functioning they will simply not work or slip....
If it cant be cleaned up & made to work, they need to be replaced...... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kallitype

some fancy $$ reels have both---Makaira has both anti-reverse bearing, and silent double-dog
Vashon Island kayak angler

paal

Some reasonably priced workhorses have double dogs + IAR too. Like the Tekota. Very nice feature in my opinion :)

kallitype

I have a Tekota 600---never knew it had both!!  Great reel for the $, nice drag .
Vashon Island kayak angler

arrowhawk

I just greased 2 of my reels. Looks like I will be removing the grease then oiling them tonight.
Thanks
nessie hunter

paal

Quote from: kallitype on March 18, 2012, 03:22:08 PM
I have a Tekota 600---never knew it had both!!  Great reel for the $, nice drag .
To my knowledge, the 600 actually has one back-up dog. Which is just fine for this size reel. The next step up, the 700, is significantly larger and heavier, and has two dogs.

I strongly recommend the carbontex drag upgrade for this reel. It has dartanium washers originally, and in my experience they tend to get sticky, sometimes even when brand new. I might just have been unlucky, because I know a lot of people are happy with them.....