old penn international 30 drag replacement

Started by jg125, March 18, 2012, 12:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg125

I have a old 30 the one with the world around the 30 took it apart to service and clean and lube cant fiqure out how to relace drag plate washer have some 30tw and there are screws on the spool this one has none dont know if I have to pull spool bearing to get to drag plate can use some help thanks

kamuwela

if you are going to replace the drag from penn it comes as a unit. never seen them sold washer only.  dawn may sell washer only.

jg125

thanks for the reply I bought the drag unit from penn reel in phila I live in south phila not to far from there my question is on my 30 and 50t models there there are screws to remove the spool assembly. on this old one there are no screws to disassemble but if you look at the clicker plate end of spool you can see the ends of the screws that hold the drag assembly.

alantani

there should be a dura drag replacement for this.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

sorry i misunderstood your question. the drag is on the left side of the spool. remove the four screws holding the drag cover on  and the drag should slip right off the pinion shaft. hope this helps. go to our home page and check under penn tutoriols there is a 50t that should be of help.
                                                          aloha and good luck
                                                                   kamu

jg125

Sory guys it probably was the way I was explaining my problem did some research and found there are tabs instead of screws is there any technique on how open that assembly thanks

alantani

uggh.  yes, you have to pry up the tabs.  i use a small screwdriver, but it leaves tool marks on the cover.  plastic shims should work as well.  they would not leave a mark.

p-deverett

Where are the tabs on the spool, I've just taken my old 30 apart and can't figure how to get the drag shield off.

Thanks
Peter

alantani

at my age, i guess i am lucky that i can take my glasses off and see clearly at 6 inches.  the tabs are in there, somewhere..........

Silent Hunter

No need to pry up the tabs - just sight where they are (usually there are 3 tabs) and squeeze them inwards one at a time with your fingertips. You only need to release 2 of them and the drag cover will lift off. Replacement is just a reversal of this procedure.
Silence is Golden

p-deverett

Thanks found the tabs and got the shield off. I have the old asbestos drags so will upgrade to HT-100.

cheers
Peter