A Rare & Desirable DAM Quick Reel

Started by foakes, April 21, 2024, 01:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1968.

A year earlier, D-A-M had introduced a line of reels that were like no others.  It was the "Finessa" line. 

It included (5) reels from the tiny 110 to the giant 550.

Anglers who knew quality —- were very favorably impressed with these reels.  They cost twice as much as comparable competition.  The engineering and materials and tolerances resulted in a superior reel capable of landing large fish way above their intended target —- and in challenging conditions.

But there was one thing missing that the DAM engineers decided to develop and introduce a year after the first (5).

High speed gearing.

So they came out with a pair of high speed 220 & 330 sized reels.

The 221 & 331.

These were identical to the 220 & 330 —- except he worm pinion and main gear were 1:5, instead of 1:3.

The engineers also designed these with a slightly longer crank handle for overcoming the high speed gearing, and providing additional cranking torque.  The only other small difference is a small red "S" sticker on the passenger sideplate, lower rear —- that denotes a high speed.

The German Engineers were also fisherman who tested and fished their products every weekend.

Many of the fishing opportunities in Europe included fast moving rivers and canals.

It was useful to be able to cast a bait upriver —- then retrieve it as it flowed downstream —- this was a natural presentation to the fish.  It would not spook a wary giant Carp or Salmon.

With the high speed gears, the angler was able to keep up with the current and keep the bait off of the bottom much more easily.

DAM manufactured lots of 220's and 330's —- but maybe only 1 out of 35 were the high speed 221 & 331.

Had a client up in New York, with a cabin in Maine —- who wanted a 221.  I built this for him this afternoon.

It is a lifetime & rare reel —- and will handle his type of fishing far past his and my lifetimes.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

quang tran

Hi Fred,do you have extra spoon for 220 or 221 ?

foakes

At this point, I would have to say no —-

I save those for complete builds.

I have 220 spools —- but I have more frames, rotors, sideplates, and switch housings than spools.

So if I sold a spool, I would not be able to offer as many complete reels to our members.

I likely have around 300-400 DQ spools —- but the 220/221 size is very popular.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

quang tran

How about 1001 and 2001 spools .I like to carry extra spool when go fishing

foakes

Quote from: quang tran on April 21, 2024, 04:57:27 AMHow about 1001 and 2001 spools .I like to carry extra spool when go fishing

Unfortunately, the spools need to go with restored reels and new builds for folks.

So I do have quite a few —- but need to keep those for members who need a new reel build.

This is only a small part of the DQ inventory —- there are 6 or 7 other storage locations in the outer shops.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

quang tran

OK,Thank you Fred ,I should inbox you for these question but system seem not working