Line Slipping

Started by Keta, May 19, 2024, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

On my recent 3 day BFT trip one of the guys brought a new reel to me and asked if I could fix it, he said that the reel had no drag.  I took one look at it and figured out the problem, the idiot that spooled it for him put it on looser than I have ever seen,  I could push the line in 1/8".  We went to the stern, tied a solid ring to his line and let all of the line out.  There was no tape on the spool and BS alleged "arbor knot".  I taped the spool and tied a double clove hitch locked with a uni knot then we both took turns winding the line back on.  Simple stuff but he thinks I am a "reel" genius.  Another person, and a friend, had a Avet that sounded like a coffee grinder, I told him it was a pinion bearing and I did not have one.  Fortunatly one of my line customers that I have been communicating with about gear before his first BFT trip had a bearing and the reel was put to work.  PBs for many were caught on this trip.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

It`s hard to believe that a simple knot gives fisherman such a hard time . That with not putting enough tension on the spool.  Some how it does amuse me to watch the look on there faces .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

and, somehow, these guys catch fish......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: alantani on May 19, 2024, 11:03:34 PMand, somehow, these guys catch fish......   ;D
Not without a bit of help.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MarkT

Quote from: Keta on May 19, 2024, 07:35:38 PMOn my recent 3 day BFT trip one of the guys brought a new reel to me and asked if I could fix it, he said that the reel had no drag.  I took one look at it and figured out the problem, the idiot that spooled it for him put it on looser than I have ever seen,  I could push the line in 1/8".  We went to the stern, tied a solid ring to his line and let all of the line out.  There was no tape on the spool and BS alleged "arbor knot".  I taped the spool and tied a double clove hitch locked with a uni knot then we both took turns winding the line back on.  Simple stuff but he thinks I am a "reel" genius.  Another person, and a friend, had a Avet that sounded like a coffee grinder, I told him it was a pinion bearing and I did not have one.  Fortunatly one of my line customers that I have been communicating with about gear before his first BFT trip had a bearing and the reel was put to work.  PBs for many were caught on this trip.
And yet Joe doesn't understand how to make the line slip on the spool!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oldmanjoe

::)  Clearly I am doing something wrong . >:D   :d
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare